Sign in to follow this  

Stepping Up

My daughter is currently riding a TTR125 and has out grown the thing both physicaly and skill wise.. The ttr125 suspention sucks. She wants a 125 2 stroke. I have looked a the CR and the YZ both look like great bikes and fast as well. I know she is in for a big suprise when she goes from a 4 to a 2 stroke. She stands about 5'4" so the bike will need to be lowered, how low should I go?

I know this is a Yamaha page but has anyone riden both the YZ and CR?? How do they compare for woods riding. Any info is a great help, I want to get a bike that is going to help her improve her skills as well as be fun to ride.

thanks

I say find a 93-97 CR125. IMO, these are one of the best 125's ever made.

I used to have a 2005 TT-R 125, but I also out grew it. I went to a 2001 YZ 125 and I love it. I'm 5'9" and can kick it ok as long as I'm on the high side. I don't know how low you should go, I still have stock height. Tell her if she wants to move up, she is going to have to kick it. No e-start here! I ride/ race my YZ in the woods only. With the 6 speed, it is a lot easier. I have not ridden the CR, so don't listen to just me, but I say go with YAMAHA. What years are you looking for? New?

I say find a 93-97 CR125. IMO, these are one of the best 125's ever made.

I really doubt they are the best ever made. If going new go with the yamaha, but if used look for the best deal around

Thanks for the input. She is already a good kick starter the TT-R does not have E start. I will be looking at used and I've read the YZ is a good trail bike as well as on the track.

You buy the yz 125, no questions asked. Why? It has some low end power. The cr 125 is a slug until its turning 9000 rpm's. I agree that peak power is similar, but before peak there is a world of difference.

i agree go with the yz it gets bike of the years all the time. i have ridden both and i personaly like the yz much more than the cr.

Thanks again for the input. I will take a good look at the yz and i need to remember about shaving the seat before lowering. Thanks

i rode a 125 when i was 5'3" couldn't touch only could pick it up and kick it. luckly there was a tree stump by my garge.