Sign in to follow this  

Moving UP

My daughter is currently riding a TTR125 and has out grown the thing both physicaly and skill wise.. The ttr125 suspention sucks. She wants a 125 2 stroke. I have looked a the CR and the YZ both look like great bikes and fast as well. I know she is in for a big suprise when she goes from a 4 to a 2 stroke. She stands about 5'4" so the bike will need to be lowered, how low should I go?

I know this is a Honda page but has anyone riden both the YZ and CR?? How do they compare for woods riding. Any info is a great help, I want to get a bike that is going to help her improve her skills as well as be fun to ride.

thanks

Just to toss another option out....if she does primarily trail riding, you may not to want a full-on MX bike. Have you considred something more along the lines of a KDX200??

How old is she and how long had she been riding?? At 5'4"...is she young enough that she's is going to hit a growth spurt soon...or is she old enough that she's likely not to get a whole lot taller??

She is almost 16 and I would say an intermediate rider. The TTR is holding her back.The CR and YZ are both full sized bikes that any adault can ride so' I'm sure if she does grow she won't grow out of it. Thanks I think I'll look at the KDX right now.

The CR would most likely be a bit too agressive for her, a YZ would be better in my opnion...

Yeah, at 16, I'd lean more towards the KDX or the other 125's. if she was more in the 12-14 y/o range, I might lean more towards a big 80 or similar. Intermediate rider, age 16....she should be able to ride a CR/YZ/KDX as long as she wants. Heck, my main woods bike is an old CR125...and I got a few yrs on her

id say go with a cr125, or yz 125, dont go with icky slime green kawi's...honda makes xr's that might be a better step up too

id say let her ride one first if she hasnt before because they are quick! how bout a new crf150r? those are niceee and easier to ride. she may hate the powerband i mean i ride my friends cr125 and it freaks me out a little, but is also very nice.

My girlfriend is 5'7 and went from 00'yz125 to 04'yz250f to 07'crf150rb in one season. She didn't like the 02 and up yz125 because they are a bit higher at the seat. She says the best bike she had is that 00'yz125 for mx tracks. But she prefers the crf150rb for the trails and very tight stuff.

Hey All..

i been riding a 01 cr 125 for bout a year and im 16 and 5'6".. im a guy, though that makes no difference.. i love me bike the cr is the best trail 2 stoke you will find.. it has a awsome suspension and the motor is not over powerfull.. also the power band on my bike hits hard but its not hard enough to throw me.. u no what i mean??.. also with the yamaha, you have a lot of power but the suspensions not quit as smooth as the honda and i just dont like yamahas.. lol.. but they do have good strong engines.. i rode my firends yz 125.. but in my opion i would get your doaghter the cr 125.. dont get a 02 or o3 though.. i have had a great experience on my 01 but newer is better.. good luck with the search:thumbsup:

...with the yamaha, you have a lot of power but the suspensions not quit as smooth as the honda and i just dont like yamahas.. lol..

I had a chance to try pretty much all the 125s from the major manufacturers around these years and I believe you can say the yamaha suspension is better all around except it is weak on bottom out protection. The honda is a bit harsh all around but the bottom out is a bit better than the yam.

ONce again thanks for all the input. Now if we can find some bikes to test ride. She has riden a Kawi 125 smoker that had crappy suspension but she came back with a huge smile on her face after feeling the quickness of a 2 stroke.

thanks