Sign in to follow this  

crf250 or yz250 for harescrambles

I race harescrambles in pennsylvania currently on a crf450. I am going to try either a crf250 or a yz250.The only reason I am making a switch is the weight of the 450.Its hard to turn in the singletrack and wears me out.I got the throttle cam,rekluse, suspension redone and lightened it as much as I can.I have never ridden a 2stroke 250 or a crf250.I found a 05 crf250 for 3,000. I cannot even find a yz250.I like crf's so I am leaning towards that.I race 201-open b and I usually finish top 3 if its more moto,but when it gets tight and rocky the 450 kills me.Is the 250 2stroke or the crf250 going to be better? I appreciate your opinions

I also had a 450 with a Rekluse and it wore me out. Once I rode the 250 in the woods I knew it was the right bike. It turns and stops so much quicker than the 450 and doesn't tire you out.

With the 450 it felt like it was riding me at times. I was constantly blowing corners in the woods because it accelerated so fast I couldn't scrub off enough speed for the next turn.

Try one, you'll love it.

what mods did you make to the crf250 for woods.I was thinking about the rekluse and putting my steering sabilizer on and get suspension redone.Thats probably it though.

what mods did you make to the crf250 for woods.I was thinking about the rekluse and putting my steering sabilizer on and get suspension redone.Thats probably it though.

Basically- suspension revalve, IMS tank, PMB s/a with silent insert, Magura hydro-clutch, DID x-ring chain, TM Designs chain guide and guards. I don't feel the need for the Rekluse on the 250 with the Magura.

Are you running the ECEA circuit? What are the number of rock runs vs non rock? Not sure have not run that series in 12 years. The schedule that I saw I recognized 5-7 of the 12 as no to hardly any rocks. If I was personally back riding in the ECEA circuit I would be on a 2 stroke. They are equally light as the 250F w/ more HP. Which is needed for alot of passing you do in H.S. I think the matainence costs are lower in the long run.

Your going to really need to keep the 250F singing in those sand runs. Yes, the torque will be awesome in the rocky runs. However, you could put a flywheel weight and rekluse if needed on a 2 smoke.

You really need to take any 250 stroke, prefereably a YZ for a ride before you write it off.

Also, how much do you weight? I think over 180 your at a diadvantage on a 250F vs lighter competitors in the same class. I am 190, but am on an 250X. I can keep up with A 250 2 smoke riders, but passing is a little harder.

Take both for a ride and see what you like. You can ride the 250F all day, and not be that tired at the end, or ride a 2 smoke be a little more tired and make passing riders easier.

I race d6 events. At hs like the flying dutchmen where its wide open I am fine on the 450- when its rocky and tight like at rorr events and at foot of the mountain, the 450 is too much.I think a crf250 would be better for me since I havent ridden a 2 stroke since 1997- I think the weight of the 450 and abrupt power is the problem.I am 220lbs.does a 250f feel lighter than a 250 two stroke?

I race d6 events. At hs like the flying dutchmen where its wide open I am fine on the 450- when its rocky and tight like at rorr events and at foot of the mountain, the 450 is too much.I think a crf250 would be better for me since I havent ridden a 2 stroke since 1997- I think the weight of the 450 and abrupt power is the problem.I am 220lbs.does a 250f feel lighter than a 250 two stroke?

I think they are pretty close to feeling light. I notice the extra pounds on my X compared to the R. At 220lb you want to look for something bigger than a 250F. I think your at a power to weight disadvantage.

I'm actually looking at a YZ250 for harescrambles. They are very popular out here in N. Cal for CC racing. I would ride one before pulling the trigger, but, BUT, I'm leaning towards one as they do have more power than a 250F and they are easier to move around. Plus, the snapper power is an advantage in quick corner to corner racing like you see sometimes in harescrables.

the yz250, the crf pertains more to track riding

:applause: yes, that is true. However, Harescrambles are a tracks in the woods around 5+ miles a lap. Usually, motocross bikes converted for woods racing(flywhell weight, susp., xlarge tank, and guards) work really well in those conditions. As enduro bikes nowadays pork on some extra weight with lights, spedos, e starters, batteries. Its really a personal preference. So, you really need to get out and ride any model bike before you buy.

At the first GNCC of the year, shane Watts won, but, Curt Casselli set the fastest lap times on a 250 4 stroke. That was in the deep florida sand where you think you need lots of power, do not forget last year when a couple of SX riders showed up at a worcs race on 250 4 strokes (can't remember their names Mike Alessi and some other kid) they smoked the pros that were all on bigger bikes.

The better rider will still win the race, regardless of the bike he is on (2 stroke, 4 stroke, 250, 450 etc etc). I say buy whatever it is you enjoy riding, none of us are getting paid to do this anyway.

I spent the past 2 seasons on a heavily modded RM250, it went well, won the vet expert class in my local series. This year I will ride a 07 CRF250R, see how it goes!

i say go with the 250f... i ride a yz250f and ive ridden a cr250 [hah opposite of ur situation...] and the 250f seems WAY lighter and has PLENTY of oomph to get around a 250 2 smoke... in the sandy runs the 4 stroke would b screamin but i think it pays off because they have about the same if not more top end speed than the two strokes if u gear it right and in the tight technical sections [which most harescrambles are comprised of] a 250f would b better because they have so much low end torque and tractability... also consider other 250f's as well.... most of the 250's are the same so its more of a brand preferrance but the 250f's have slightly different powerbands so check out all of them first before making ur decision. if u go to dirtrider.com and look at the dyno chart of the stock 06 250f shootout, the ktm and yz are above the rest... if u look at the 05 250f shootout, the yz is at the top... its more preferrance than anything so get out there and try out as many bikes as u can. good luck :applause: