Sign in to follow this  

290 kit loves the new gearing!

Hey guys, Just wanted to let you know that if you have a 290 kit and hotcams stage 1 you HAVE to go to a 14/50 or 13/47. Gearing the bike up really really makes it pull nice and long, yet it still BARKS off the bottom!

I went with 14/50 for hopefully better chain life and susp action. I actually have a 49 tooth rear that i will try next time, to see if that helps even more, but i am thinking it is about perfect with the 50, so i may stick with it:excuseme:

the last time i rode i had 13/49 and it was so quick through the gears it was hard to hold on, and it made the gears almost useless because they were so short, but with the new gearing it is like night and day, and having longer gears, with all that power, really improved my riding.

The people i rode with this weekend said coming out of corners i pulled thier 250f's like i was on a 450. In one class out of 8 bikes on the line, all 450f's and 1 250smoker, i was 2nd or 3rd to the first corner in both motos today. Granted it was indoors, but 450's were no advantage over a 290f!

HEY TRANQWHL<<< Post your helmet cam vid, i wanna see it!

Thanks tranqwhl! :applause: That is an awesome vid man!! You rode great! wow i allready miss that track, i should of stayed for tonights practice :lol:

I tried giving you some fuel, but i says i have to spread it around before i can give it to you again.

Somebody give him some fuel for me please!

He doesn't need anymore fuel, race is over... :applause:

Hey guys, Just wanted to let you know that if you have a 290 kit and hotcams stage 1 you HAVE to go to a 14/50 or 13/47. Gearing the bike up really really makes it pull nice and long, yet it still BARKS off the bottom!

I went with 14/50 for hopefully better chain life and susp action. I actually have a 49 tooth rear that i will try next time, to see if that helps even more, but i am thinking it is about perfect with the 50, so i may stick with it:excuseme:

the last time i rode i had 13/49 and it was so quick through the gears it was hard to hold on, and it made the gears almost useless because they were so short, but with the new gearing it is like night and day, and having longer gears, with all that power, really improved my riding.

The people i rode with this weekend said coming out of corners i pulled thier 250f's like i was on a 450. In one class out of 8 bikes on the line, all 450f's and 1 250smoker, i was 2nd or 3rd to the first corner in both motos today. Granted it was indoors, but 450's were no advantage over a 290f!

HEY TRANQWHL<<< Post your helmet cam vid, i wanna see it!

cool, I was wondering how your gearing would come out. A 49T or 48T for outdoors may be the ticket.

I know what you mean about the old gearing just blowing thru the rev's. It made my bike ride and handle like a 250 2smoke.

If you feel like more testing, keep testing your jetting as you may find more power there as well.

Yes I will have to do more jetting testing as the summer comes on. The weather changes alot here in MN and I will have to change my jetting from week to week for the next few months. Tranqwhl told me St. Boni's dyno is really good with thier exhaust gas anyalizer so i think i will try to get there to get it dialed in after i get my best seat of the pants jetting.

For outdoor gearing i am gonna try the 50tooth on my wheelset that i keep set up with mud/sand tires. On my hard terrian wheelset i will be trying a 49tooth. If both seem a little bit deep i will swap to 48/49. Its nice having options :applause:.

Sometime this summer i might swap to different cams again, and start the fun all over again!