Sign in to follow this  

2001 DRZ 400 confusion

Hello fellow riders,

I tried looking at some 200 posts and didn't find any that answered ALL my Q's with my circumstances, so at the risk of getting the flame thrower by asking the record skipping question...Here goes. I have a 2001 DRZ400 with the stock pipe, White Brothers E series and FMF-Q pipes. I really like the peace and quiet of the stock pipe but if you recommend one of the other, I suppose I can live with it. The other two are WAY loud and are probably in need of a repack. The carb is all stock and I ride at 4200' alt. The air box baffle has been removed. It has a problem starting when cold, The choke works well, once warm it has an off idle stall, sometimes the engine will quit. Its obviously a lean condition. I have read the advanced jetting technics by Matt Nelson and thought a second opinion would be a good thing. I was planning on going with a 162 main for my altitude, a 48 pilot fuel jet. I'm being told to both remove the coast enrichener, and swap the stock accelerator pump diaphragm with the WR 450 diaphragm. I'm down with the jet change but all the rest needs some light shined on it before I start tearing things off. Can anyone set me in a good direction. I just want to trail ride with no troubles, not eat up the track. TIA. :applause:

stock pipe works good for how quite it is.

4200 ft

150 main jet

stock dxp needle

5th clip

48 pilot jet

1.5 turns fuel screw

WOW!! Now that's a warp speed reply...The Yamaha Vmax forum could learn a thing or two about that. LOL

I'll give your recommendation a try and post my results. Thanks again and ride safe.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble finding the 48 pilot jet, Local bike shop offer a totaly different size and have no idea where to get one. They are pushing me to use a James Dean jet kits? Any good? TIA

JD kits are always a good option.what i suggested was a quick and easy set up that works well for most.

I'll scout around and try to find the 48 pilot and go your route, and if I can't I'll buy a JD kit. Thanks Eddie.

Are ther two different looking pilot jets? The factory 45 is about 3/4 of an inch long and the bike shops are almost twice as long, but they fit and look the same on the bottom end.

FYI (you probably know already) the #48 pilot jet can be found in a 2002 KTM 250 EXC race USA model. Part # 59031607048. Took me a while and several bike microfich searches for that one. L8r