Sign in to follow this  

DRZSM Electrical Questions

I have an '05 SM and IIRC the charging system output is 200 watts? So the headlight uses 65 watts, what does the rest of the bike use? (ignition, signals etc) I'm going to custom make my own heated vest and wanted to make the output around 70 watts, does this give me enough of a margin to prevent charging system failure? TIA

Blinkers 21 watts each.

Taillight is 15 watts

Brake light is 21 watts

Speedo/indicators probably around 20

90 watts. 65 for the head light leaves 55 watts left and you want to keep the battery charged, right? Therfore, a 70 watt at max vest is goiongn to over load the system. Others here have stated about 35 is available. You can go to LED blinkers/tail and brake light, that will save you some. A HID light only draws 35 watts.

Blinkers and horn and stop lights are intermittent so you have to figure duty cycle for them plus don't count on 200 watts continuous. All that aside, experience shows you can add 50 to 60 watts of draw. 70 is probably pushing it. However, keep in mind you may not have the heated clothes on all the time either so figure a duty cycle for them too. Maybe 50% on time? no problem.