Sign in to follow this  

Speedomter accuracy

How accurate is the speedometer/odometer on a DRZ-S?

I did a dual sport ride last weekend and the rollchart usually matched up pretty good with my odometer, but not even close to the other guys I was riding with. Then today I was on the freeway and opened up the bike and got to 100mph, didn't seem like I was going that fast. Either that, or minivan moms were going 100 also??

I tested mine to my gps.

Below 25mph no difference.

@45=43 actual

@60=55 actual

@100=90 actual

The difference grows exponentially. It's close enough. At least your going slower than the speedo reading. Maybe that will save me a ticket or two.

Using my GPS as a baseline I calculated about 9% over at road speeds...

How accurate is the speedometer/odometer on a DRZ-S?

I did a dual sport ride last weekend and the rollchart usually matched up pretty good with my odometer, but not even close to the other guys I was riding with. Then today I was on the freeway and opened up the bike and got to 100mph, didn't seem like I was going that fast. Either that, or minivan moms were going 100 also??

I ride quite a few DS rides, rarely is the odometer right on the money.

Part of the problem is tire size, and part is differing riding styles form the guy who layed out the course. Plus, you don't know if his odometer is right or not.:applause:

The odometer can be adjusted for different sized front tires though. I can't remember the procedure right now, but it's in the manual.

If I'm reading within 1-2/10ths, it's all good. Anything more, and I start sweatin':thumbsup:

My experience is the odo is just about right on and the speedo is about 10% optimistic.

Which does not make sense, since they are both getting a reading from the same sensor...?

My only thought is they have skewed it slightly in the actual "calibration" for the speedo section of computer.

I would think adjusting tire size to match would only screw up the odo reading which is more important to me.

My $0.02

I ride quite a few DS rides, rarely is the odometer right on the money.

Part of the problem is tire size, and part is differing riding styles form the guy who layed out the course. Plus, you don't know if his odometer is right or not.:applause:

The odometer can be adjusted for different sized front tires though. I can't remember the procedure right now, but it's in the manual.

If I'm reading within 1-2/10ths, it's all good. Anything more, and I start sweatin':thumbsup:

I was usually +/- 0.2 on the roll chart, I figured it was about as good as I was going to get.

I guess accurate odometer, optimistic speedometer is the consensus.

I tested my SM today with a few runs past a flashing radar sign.

An indicated 53 is an actual 50... 6% optimiistic.

Greg