Sign in to follow this  

"Pond Skimming" anyone?

Well that's what I call it anyway. Here are some pics taken today over at Horsfalls in Oregon. If you got 'em, lets see yours.

100_0104.jpg

100_0105.jpg

Yeah, both times I made it, but it was slowing down pretty good by the end. You know your about out of steam when it starts "wiggling". Fun stuff tho, esp on a hot day. Today was pretty warm for the Oregon coast in March.

nice. it that fresh water or salt? BTW- my parents live up there, glad to hear you finally got some good weather...

Well I wouldn't call it "fresh" because I wouldn't let my dog drink out of it, but I don't think it's salty. It's inland about a mile, so any salt would just be whatever is in the sand. Regardless, I hosed her off real good when I got home.

5th gear pinned. :applause: The faster you go, the smoother the ride. If you have never done it, don't just bomb into a puddle. You have to pick the right spot, esp on a quad. If you are on a bike, you can cut off small sections anywhere, as long as the entry is smooth. You don't want to drop into the water at all. It has to gradually drop over at least 20 feet. If you are on a quad, you have to come into the water straight (front tires hit the water's edge at the same time) or risk going sideways across the pond which will likely send you tumbling.

Very cool. I would try it but you have to let me ride your quad.:applause:

Why my quad? :applause:

Cause I would probably screw up and sink it.:lol:

I would rather use your ride:p

I'v seen people do that on sleds but I havnt seen a quad yet, Nice work :applause:

Thanks guys. I don't know for sure how deep the water is, but I would guess two or three feet at the deepest part. When the sleds do it they can go slow, those babies are bouyant, and they have a lot of surface area on the bottom to keep them "planed".

I know exactly where that is. Hauser Rd is only 200yds north of this "puddle".

Some of those puddles can get really really deep (not that I have been in them). In the summer there are always folks camping right next to this puddle and I routinely see kids summing in it.

Those are cool pictures. I can't wait to go down after Winter quarter finals!

Well, it is about 50 in central Oregon----so that is pretty hot for the end of winter!! There will be some great ponds up here to fly over when it starts raining again...you know, with out the snow :applause: hahahaha

thats a fun place to ride. only been a couple times though. i would go this weekend but im doing the 6 hour up in eddieville.

this weather is nice isn't it. its a full 65 right now across the river from portland :applause:

I know exactly where that is. Hauser Rd is only 200yds north of this "puddle".

Yep. And about the swimming. I don't think I would let kids swim in that. It isn't really dirty, but it is stagnant. Sometimes there is nasty foamy stuff around the edges and it is kinda gross. Last year I saw a guy riding a jet-ski in a huge pond in the southernmost tent city.