Sign in to follow this  

Help On piston ring placement

I want to make sure I dont mess it up. On the BBR 120 kit I know the oil ring is on the bottom but which ring is in the middle and on top? Im thinking the black one is in the middle and the silver is on top. Also is there a marking that I should be looking for so I know if the ring is right side up or doesnt it matter?

You are correct. The black ring goes in the middle and the silver ring goes on top. Any marking on the rings (i.e. letters, numbers) should be facing up.

Are there any tricks on getting the 3piece oil ring to stay in the groove on the piston? I can get the top solid ring of the oil ring in along with the wavy thin center of the oil ring but when I try to put the bottom solid ring into that groove along with the other two part it either wont go in all the way around or pushes the wavy ring out. Arent all three supposed to "snap" in real tight? Also where should I place the gaps on the upper and lower solid rings of the oil ring? Opposite side of each other then put the other two ring compression rings at a 120* spacing from the top oil ring gap?

For oil ring put the expander in first being careful NOT to overlap ends, bottom rail in next, and top rail last. Check again to make sure ends of expander are not overlaped. Then install middle (scraper) ring, and top (compression) ring very last. Remember all markings up for top and middle ring, oil ring will have no markings. Always a good idea to check ring end gap in the bore first before you install rings on piston also.:applause: When you install rings on the piston be careful not to distort them too much as they can be tweaked out of shape.

For end gap placement most Honda manuals will show it, or go to Powroll's site and they show it, I think under tech info.

A little trick for making the piston/rings slide into the cylinder easy. Polish the chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder nice and smooth. If it's a over bore and the chamfer has been bored away.......grind in some more chamfer! Think of it like as a nice smooth shoe horn to help ease the rings into the bore. I do this to all the cylinders I bore, makes if MUCH easier for people to get piston/rings in cylinder without problems!:lol:

Old School Al

Always a good idea to check ring end gap in the bore first before you install rings on piston also.:applause:

Old School Al

Do not skip this step. I did and am now installing a second set of rings as the first were actaually the wrong size. I assumed they were the correct size and allowed my self to skip this step and had to tear the motor down again because it would not stop blowing oil.

Well this is a new BBR 120 bigbore kit so hopefully the end gaps well be in check. Thanks for the step by step. Hopefully Ill get it all worked out. Just going to take it slow.