Sign in to follow this  

Carb is flooding

Hey Burned, I just posted this on the general forum with out realizing there was a jetting forum. I have a TTR125 which I cut the air box and rejetted. I moved one size up from the stock main and pilot jet. It seemed pretty easy not many things to screw up. I connected everything up and now the carb floods, gas drips out of the over flow tube and it won't start. I recieved one reply from my post on the general forum which suggested that the floats are sticking or the needle jet is bad. When I turn the bowl over the floats do move and seem free so should I assume that the needle jet is bad? The motor ran fine before I replaced the jets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

I think you missunderstood the party that advised you. There are two "needles" in the carb.

1: Is the "jet needle" this raises with the throttle and passes thru a "needle jet" and combined meeters the fuel intot he engine.

2: Is the "float needle". this raises with the float and seals into a "seat" which stops the fuel supply until more is needed so the float level is hopfully always at the same level.

Your Jet needle should not require attention, your float needle may have a piece of debris inside the seat, the float may have gotten bent so the float level has changed or the "seat which I beleive screws into the carb body may be loose.

Out on the trail , I had a piece of trash lodge in/on the float needle . What I did to remedy was turn the petcock off , then blow through the disconnected fuel line . What I suggest is drop the float bowl and jiggle the float up and down . Hopefully this will clear any trash the may have lodged . If that doesn't work , you may have to pull the carb and use some carb cleaner and a can of compressed air . If the float bowl tang bent somewhere in the process , well then you'll have to get advice from someone wiser than myself . :applause:

Good luck . :lol: