Sign in to follow this  

crf 450x gearbox anyone had problems

Looking at getting a new bike in 07 still can't decide WR 450 CRF 450X leaning CRF, always owned Honda's, XR 400's 3 of them 98, 2000 and an 05 I got at a great price when the 450x took over. Its about time I stepped up and smelt the horse power ( not to mention the suspension). Heard That some people had gearbox problems but I think they were not using enough oil. Going to do a fair share of road riding on the bike it can be a fair distance between trails here and some fairly big rides as well(not xr 400 big but big none the less). Has anyone used there CRF to commute if so how many Ks (Miles) have you done, did anything break? If so what?

Well to save you the trouble of looking trough all the threads: I had been following up on the crf450x's for some time now. I've been reading up on the gearbox problems experienced by some people here on thumpertalk. The only stand-out problem has been the 3rd gear welding it to the shaft (in turn, making you replace the tranny). There was some talk over the possible lack of spacing gears, not allowing the oil to get between them. But, it seemed that almost everyone agreed that if run a whole quart of oil in the tranny side instead of the 0.7 liters that are usually put in. It seemed that people only had that problem if they were driving at high speeds on flat terrain. But again, when running, a whole quart, the problem was inexistant.

I would definitally suggest to get the crf, and if you run a whole quart in the tranny side, you shouldn't have any problems. I mentioned this to te mechanic at my dealership, he heard bout the problem and suggested the same thing. Good luck

Oh and if you do get the crf, dont let it sit and idle for too long, (i.e.- 5 minutes of more) you could over heat (learned the hard way)

Looking at getting a new bike in 07 still can't decide WR 450 CRF 450X leaning CRF, always owned Honda's, XR 400's 3 of them 98, 2000 and an 05 I got at a great price when the 450x took over. Its about time I stepped up and smelt the horse power ( not to mention the suspension). Heard That some people had gearbox problems but I think they were not using enough oil. Going to do a fair share of road riding on the bike it can be a fair distance between trails here and some fairly big rides as well(not xr 400 big but big none the less). Has anyone used there CRF to commute if so how many Ks (Miles) have you done, did anything break? If so what?

Even if the trannies actually were fragile, which they are not, I don't like the alternatives anyway. Yamahas turn funny. KTM's boing, Kawai's boing worse, Suzuki's are 4 speeds. Husky? Turn too slow. TM, VOR, Beta, Aprillia? Can't find one.

Better Red than bored dead.

ouch...were u runnin a full quart?

mines still works and i've got around 40 hours on it. i am runnin a quart though

My 05 has a year and a half of riding on it and still going strong. I ride roads a fair bit to get to riding areas but never on pavement, only gravel.Definitely

run a full Quart of oil, run the best oil u can afford, and change it frequently.

The only failure on a 450 I've personally seen was a bearing failure on a 450r that totally fried the engine but i dont know if it was oil related or not.Oh and if u ride on a road keep tour speed down it will definitely help your trannie

Ride it like u stole it:)

FULL QT!!!!! in the trans. Change it from time to time and no probs. I use Maxx 85wt. Its thick, but after it heats up it runs good and quiet.

My 06 that i bought in July has 4000 trouble free miles on it. I keep a quart in the tranny and consistently change the oil.

As someone who has a 2005 450x w/ approx 200hrs and just pulled the engine due to transmission failure....I'd buy the bike again and make sure I double double checked my oil level before blasting down the road. Having my engine completely torn down in my garage I'm very pleased with wear/tear overall. My 07 tranny parts as well as piston/rings/gaskets etc is under $400. To prevent what happened to me....run higher then recommended oil level on tranny side. Don't do that on the engine side. There will be no issue of cavitation while running 1qt on the tranny side. At the very least use the inspection cover as reference for trans oil rather than 10mm screw as outlined in owners manual. This will give you enough but not quite a full qt.

My '05 450x now has over 8000kms on the clock - about 165 hours! Had it since new, my riding = tight snotty trails, massive hill climbs, wide open trails, beach rides (including a 50km/h blast through 300mm deep salt water) and about 1000kms road riding. Have always run Belray Thumper oil (engine and trans - 750mls), changed it every 600 - 800kms and never had a problem!

The 450x Rocks!!

i have a 06 450x and 12hours on it and just had the tranny seeze

Why do people post responses like this than ALWAYS refuse to answer the question of whether or not they were running a full quart of oil in the tranny side??????? :thumbsup:

When I bought my 450X, I researched everything before riding and from day 1 have been running a quart in the tranny side. And guess what ??? no problems!!

I have yet to see anybody comment on the tranny failure who was running a full quart and changing oils on a frequent basis.

The tranny deal is obviously stupidity induced.

I believe that the Hondas we get here in Australia are built better than the U.S. equivalent as any of the range that i have owned and it is a few (46+ bikes) have never had the problems that you guys write about and have never heard of them happening here.Be it a CR or XR or CRF.

Bikes built in Japan that is not Brazil or whatever.

No offence but feel free to shoot the messenger.

That "some people" are far and few between... and not enough to worry about a 'new bike purchase'.

I've ran a full quart in the tranny since I bought the bike (used). Before me, it was only raced/ridden in deserts (About 800+ miles worth). Not sure if it was full quart or not. However, I now have about 3500miles on her with no issues... and I don't baby my tranny. Never use the clutch, and randomly don't get a solid shift... so it pops in/out of gear. It's still humming along... :thumbsup:

...I believe that the Hondas we get here in Australia are built better than the U.S.....

They come with license plates don't they?! :worthy: If so... then sure they're much better... :thumbsup: (skeptical about being built any better :ride:)

Made in Brazil, Japan, USA, Canada, Australia.....all with parts made in Taiwan!