Sign in to follow this  

First Impression DRZ 400 SM

Hey, TT gang. I just had my first few rides on my new (to me) drz 400 sm. It's an 06 and it's bone stuck but for the yosh pipe and Pirelli MT 60 tires I put on it. I'm planning on doing a fair amount of off road riding, hence the Pirellis. Last night I slid on some phat bars, hand guards and new grips and now it looks pretty kewl too. I'll post some pics later on. Obviously, I haven't ridden it since I did that stuff late last night.

I live in WV, which, as it turns out was purpose built for SM riding. As I don't have the title yet (prior owner still owed $ on it so the title hasn't been released yet), the bike's been sitting in my garage for several weeks. Well, on Friday I'd had all I could take and did something I normally would never do. I yanked the tag off my cbr 600 f4i and slapped it on the zuke. As your attorney, I advise you NOT to do such a thing.

And so it began, my much anticipated slippery slope ride down into the abyss of hooliganism. Holy CRAP.

As background, I'm 38 and have been riding since I was 7. I've done a fair amount of roadracing with WERA on a SV 650 and a good bit of SM racing on my ktm 450 that is track only. I am also an avid off road rider on my yz 250 (I run the occasional hare scramble but mostly ride on weekends with my buddies in the hills of West By God Virginia). I do get out on the cbr now and then, but it's the most neglected horse in the barn these days.

So, with that as background, here's my take on this whole street legal sm deal. Again, HOLY CRAP.

This bike is entirely too much fun. Remember, mine's not exactly 100% legal right now, so I'm being careful to avoid LEO interactions. I'm literally riding around with a bill of sale in one pocket, and my proof of insurance in the other. I can prove I legally own the bike and that it's insured, but when asked to present registration I'm gonna have to fess up. Hopefully by this weekend that will be a non-issue.

Even knowing that I'm not exactly legal, it's impossible NOt to ride this thing like a teenager who's off on an unauthorized jaunt on his dad's bike. I'm smitten. I've already checked out a half dozen roads that are within 10 miles of my house that I've driven past hundreds of times and always wondered "hey, where's that go." Well, now I know. And that's really what this bike is going to do for me - it just made my WV map grow by about 4000%.

I'm sure other folks who just got into this have similar experiences. I could go on and on about all I've done so far, but I don't want to bore anyone. I've poached a few water tower access roads, hopped a berm/sidewalk or six, rode up my grandmother's back yard to say hi, and onto my best buddy's front porch (stairs? No problem.). I'm giggling the entire time I'm on this bike.

Sorry this was so long but I had to tell someone and I figured this crowd can appreciate my joy. Rock on fellow TT'ers. Rock on.

Slick. Should probably take a photo of my drivers license while I'm at it bc I don't think I'll have it much longer. OUT!

Hey, TT gang. I just had my first few rides on my new (to me) drz 400 sm. It's an 06 and it's bone stuck but for the yosh pipe and Pirelli MT 60 tires I put on it. I'm planning on doing a fair amount of off road riding, hence the Pirellis. Last night I slid on some phat bars, hand guards and new grips and now it looks pretty kewl too. I'll post some pics later on. Obviously, I haven't ridden it since I did that stuff late last night.

I live in WV, which, as it turns out was purpose built for SM riding. As I don't have the title yet (prior owner still owed $ on it so the title hasn't been released yet), the bike's been sitting in my garage for several weeks. Well, on Friday I'd had all I could take and did something I normally would never do. I yanked the tag off my cbr 600 f4i and slapped it on the zuke. As your attorney, I advise you NOT to do such a thing.

And so it began, my much anticipated slippery slope ride down into the abyss of hooliganism. Holy CRAP.

As background, I'm 38 and have been riding since I was 7. I've done a fair amount of roadracing with WERA on a SV 650 and a good bit of SM racing on my ktm 450 that is track only. I am also an avid off road rider on my yz 250 (I run the occasional hare scramble but mostly ride on weekends with my buddies in the hills of West By God Virginia). I do get out on the cbr now and then, but it's the most neglected horse in the barn these days.

So, with that as background, here's my take on this whole street legal sm deal. Again, HOLY CRAP.

This bike is entirely too much fun. Remember, mine's not exactly 100% legal right now, so I'm being careful to avoid LEO interactions. I'm literally riding around with a bill of sale in one pocket, and my proof of insurance in the other. I can prove I legally own the bike and that it's insured, but when asked to present registration I'm gonna have to fess up. Hopefully by this weekend that will be a non-issue.

Even knowing that I'm not exactly legal, it's impossible NOt to ride this thing like a teenager who's off on an unauthorized jaunt on his dad's bike. I'm smitten. I've already checked out a half dozen roads that are within 10 miles of my house that I've driven past hundreds of times and always wondered "hey, where's that go." Well, now I know. And that's really what this bike is going to do for me - it just made my WV map grow by about 4000%.

I'm sure other folks who just got into this have similar experiences. I could go on and on about all I've done so far, but I don't want to bore anyone. I've poached a few water tower access roads, hopped a berm/sidewalk or six, rode up my grandmother's back yard to say hi, and onto my best buddy's front porch (stairs? No problem.). I'm giggling the entire time I'm on this bike.

Sorry this was so long but I had to tell someone and I figured this crowd can appreciate my joy. Rock on fellow TT'ers. Rock on.

Slick. Should probably take a photo of my drivers license while I'm at it bc I don't think I'll have it much longer. OUT!

Shouldn't you be at home with your wife and children:naughty:

Just Kidding:busted: :applause:

I was in WV with my S model shortly after I bought it. My freinds were riding twisties on their streetbikes... I opted to look for backroads. I just had to laugh when I came to this. Nice dirt road about a mile in and then this:

wvdirtroad.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, as you can see there is a small brook that you had to ride through to continue on the dirt road.

Great write up and congrats!!

I hve a similiar background, age riding experience etc. and im getting ready to sell my YZF600 and pick up an '07 DRZSM. Ive had an '01 DRZ which I rode on the street in the past so I can relate. Your write up is getting me pumped!

Thanks, guys! Yeah, this is going to be fun for sure. Hey, Vet, I can assure you that you'll NOT regret getting off the 600 and onto the drz. You've sampled this already, so you know the deal.

Regalman, that creek looks pretty tame to me. I had to cross one on Saturday and didn't have any trouble. Of course, your photo may not do it justice and the thing could be 4' deep. Did you cross it?

And Dewfl, if I had a wife or kids I'd probably STILL be out on the bike. I've managed to dodge those bullets so far (kidding) so it's not an issue in my world. People say I'll die alone and sad. I say "you're one for three. I WILL die, for sure, so ya got me there. However, EVERYONE dies alone unless your a pharoh and can have your servants sent along with you (not that they'd be much comfort as you are DEAD), and as for the sad part, so far I'm happy as a lark but I'll let you know if that changes.

:applause:

If anyone ever finds themselves in WV, look me up and we'll go get into trouble together. Check ya later!

I've already checked out a half dozen roads that are within 10 miles of my house that I've driven past hundreds of times and always wondered "hey, where's that go." Well, now I know.

...this conveys my sentiments EXACTLY, and would make an awesome ad slogan for the DRZ.

On a side note, I managed to snap my speedo cable while pulling the front tire when I swapped out to the Pirellis. Anyone know of a good source for a replacement cable? I assume this is an OEM part only?

Thanks in advance for any leads. I can always head to the local Zuke shop but something tells me they'll want waaaay too much for one.

On a side note, I managed to snap my speedo cable while pulling the front tire when I swapped out to the Pirellis. Anyone know of a good source for a replacement cable? I assume this is an OEM part only?

Thanks in advance for any leads. I can always head to the local Zuke shop but something tells me they'll want waaaay too much for one.

Trail Tech Vapor time my friend.:applause:http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

Being single your wallet is probably overflowing with cash, so you bought the right bike for sure. Forget you ever heard the term OEM. All of us will do our best to help thin out your wallet:p congrats on your new mistress.