Sign in to follow this  

New 07 TE510 in my shop

Well, I'm not sure if it was an impulsive buy or not, but I bought a new 07 Husky TE510 last week. (Bill's in Salem, OR... highly recommended) My DRZ400 just wasn't doin' for me. I wanted street legal commuting ability and single track agility in one bike. Thought I'd post my initial impressions. First, the most imposing aspect of this bike is the motor. GREAT power...... this thing is going to be an exercise in throttle control. Great transmission but the C/R gearbox is too close for my taste. The overall gearing is too low and I will need to tweak that. Engine vibration is fairly intrusive but likely something I'll get to use to. The little off road that I've done is very positve. Suspension front and rear look to be pretty close and high quality. Seat is fairly hard and very tall (for me). Taller than my 2000 Berg and even has me thinking of lowering links. For pavement, obviously the knobbies give a rough ride and I notice they did not bother to balance out the front wheel. I will do that and suspect that may help a little. Eventually I want to get some 17's for it and I'm guessing that will really improve it's pavement comfort. Anyway, very nice quality bike, good looking and geeezzzz....what a motor!

Yup, have to agree with you about this bike, I own one also with a little over 100 miles on in, almost all off road. Everything you say is about right, Tranny is a little close, seat is a little high, front wheel, etc.(not sure any bike is perfect:excuseme: ) BUT, that being said it is becomming, the more I ride it, The most fun motorcycle I've ever owned. It is completely competent off road, and I can throw my laptop in my backpack and ride the 4 miles to work. Where, BTW, I have to wipe it off before comming home because the construction crew guys have drooled all over it. I'm 6 ft tall, 195lbs with a bunch of off road riding experience. This Bike is FUN. When in doubt, Power Out!:applause:

Etch

Congrats to the both of you! Now come to Baja for 5 days with us and see what your bike can really do off road.:lol::applause:

Well, I'm not sure if it was an impulsive buy or not, but I bought a new 07 Husky TE510 last week. (Bill's in Salem, OR... highly recommended) My DRZ400 just wasn't doin' for me. I wanted street legal commuting ability and single track agility in one bike. Thought I'd post my initial impressions. First, the most imposing aspect of this bike is the motor. GREAT power...... this thing is going to be an exercise in throttle control. Great transmission but the C/R gearbox is too close for my taste. The overall gearing is too low and I will need to tweak that. Engine vibration is fairly intrusive but likely something I'll get to use to. The little off road that I've done is very positve. Suspension front and rear look to be pretty close and high quality. Seat is fairly hard and very tall (for me). Taller than my 2000 Berg and even has me thinking of lowering links. For pavement, obviously the knobbies give a rough ride and I notice they did not bother to balance out the front wheel. I will do that and suspect that may help a little. Eventually I want to get some 17's for it and I'm guessing that will really improve it's pavement comfort. Anyway, very nice quality bike, good looking and geeezzzz....what a motor!

How would you compare first gear between the drz and TE?

I agree about balancing the tires - did mine front on back and made a big difference. Went to an automotive tire shop and they handed me a bunch of stick on 1/4 oz weights for free. Sticking 2.5oz opposite the front rim lock, 4.0oz on the back will get it close.

TEs seem to get better and better with miles and the suspension takes some miles to break in. Mine is getting re-valved and lowered (both ends) and the same time. Not too much extra $ to lower it if they are doing the re-valve anyway.

Thanks for the tips ......first gear ratios on those bikes seem pretty similar, with the TE having closer ratios for the next gears.