Sign in to follow this  

Feed back (450X for larger rider)

I'm 48 and i'm 6'3' , 240 LBS. I'm looking at the 450x but I need some bottom end. I do the desert here in Cali. I just got back from Laughlin and saw alot of these bikes. After taking all the smog stuff off and puting a slip on pipe on it, does it come alive? My last CRF, an 03, had a very tall first gear which made it hard to set up for off road. How about some feed back. Most appreciated from the larger fellows out there.

usual mods as in jd jet kit, air box mods and baffle mods:thumbsup:

I've geared mine up to a 49 from a 51 and 1st gear is still like a granny gear, with the stock gearing you'll be fine. I'm 225 and never run out of power unless it's a huge hill.

I take that back, I never run out of power, I run out of talent if it's a huge hill.

I'm 48 and i'm 6'3' , 240 LBS. I'm looking at the 450x but I need some bottom end. I do the desert here in Cali. I just got back from Laughlin and saw alot of these bikes. After taking all the smog stuff off and puting a slip on pipe on it, does it come alive? My last CRF, an 03, had a very tall first gear which made it hard to set up for off road. How about some feed back. Most appreciated from the larger fellows out there.

You just wrote my life story. Same age, weight (well I'm fatter) etc. I too found the R to be odd off road. Let's put it this way. From XR650 to 450R to YZ450 to 450X, and never looking back. To make it work well you MUST (opinion):

- spring and valve suspension for your weight

- uncork and change pipe for more bottom end

- Jet for uncork and pipe

- cover it with braces, armor, taller bars, seat, lower pegs

- Now ride the hell out of it. It will kick your R's ass I can tell you.

There's a whole bunch of us "larger fellows" out there, and the X will have all you want. Krannie gave you the low down, folow it and you'll be all smiles. Doug

I weigh in at around 260 without gear and I own an 05 450 X with JD jet kit,Pink wire mod,and baffle mod the bike has plenty of power, I often find myself in second gear in tight stuff and I dont realize it till I stop or accidently kill the bike.I do however need better suspension but I have no idea where to send it and plus cant afford to spend alot of dollars on it otherwise great bike!