Sign in to follow this  

fork oil question

Mobil1 Syn ATF is now my favorite.

Don't really have any oils you should stay away from.

Had bad luck with K&L fork seals though.

Mobil1 Syn ATF is now my favorite.

Why is that? Here in Sweden the ATF oil is twice as expensive as fork oil.

What makes the ATF oil better?

mvh Henric

Why is that? Here in Sweden the ATF oil is twice as expensive as fork oil.

What makes the ATF oil better?

mvh Henric

I should have been more clear...

I am NOT saying I think ATF is "better" then other suspension fluids.

Mobil 1 Synthetic is used by many members on this board as well as one "pro" tuner that I know of.... maybe others as well.

Bike shops are at least a 1/2 hour drive from me and are a rip-off. I do not want to mail order 2 bottles of fluid either.

Mobil 1 Syn costs about the same as most suspension fluids... but is available right around the corner from my house.

Because it is readily available, used and recommended by many respected tuners and I use it in my CRF tranny as well... it has now becaome my personal "favorite" suspension fluid.

I am in no way saying it is the best... I am not qualified to make that statement.

I like M1(mobil one) in my crf450 outer chamber(slick as whales balls).

5wt. Maxima in my crf450 inner chamber. I just like exactly 5wt. in the inners.

I also love M1 in my KTM 525SX. It helps tons with the WP stiction and helps make the shim stacks come into effect sooner. And it lasts forever!:applause:

how about the mobil 1 ATF non syntetic oil then, is that also a good fork oil"(slick as whales balls)"

mvh Henric

how about the mobil 1 ATF non syntetic oil then, is that also a good fork oil"(slick as whales balls)"

mvh Henric

I have no idea. but probably not as it`s not a synthetic and thats the "big thing" with synthetics, they are real slippery. You really can feel it in the forks. My old Honda manuals (circa 80`s early90`s) recomend ATF as a substitute in both fork and shock.

but then again the guys in the crf450 forum have me running Rotella 15/40 non-syn in both sides of my crf motor(I change it often).

maybe it`s a conspiracy thing...........:applause:

mvh Henric

I have used regular ATF on a couple rear quad shocks that I rebuilt for friends that wanted to spend no money.

Never heard any complaints... but that does not mean it is great. Old TRX250R manuals call for ATF in the shock and the ATC250R calls for it in the forks.

I have read a couple guys in other forums use no name brand ATF in thier suspension.

If I am going through the trouble of cleaning and rebuilding everything I personally would want the synthetic fluid in my "suspenders"

I have used regular ATF on a couple rear quad shocks that I rebuilt for friends that wanted to spend no money.

Never heard any complaints... but that does not mean it is great. Old TRX250R manuals call for ATF in the shock and the ATC250R calls for it in the forks.

I have read a couple guys in other forums use no name brand ATF in thier suspension.

If I am going through the trouble of cleaning and rebuilding everything I personally would want the synthetic fluid in my "suspenders"

You probably never heard any complaints due to the fact that standard ATF is probably 15wt. and those 4-wheelers are always kinda "springy" so you probably improved thier rides:ride: :applause: for real!

I did a KXF700, basically just added 25% more rebound shims to the stack and the guy and his friends Love it. Those things are unridable stock:crazy: