Sign in to follow this  

Too much air.????

Help me Burned, I bought the jet kit and did my drz. Only mod is the air mod, I closed off the under seat intake and made one on the side. I think its getting too much air, runs awsome when I close off some of the intake. Can I use a different jet or will I just have to dial in the air mod?? Thanks ahead, Bill.

dude,relax.you had to wait a couple hours for a response.i cant speak for others,but i work 60-80 hours a week.

what kit?

intake hole exactly 3x3?

Sorry, guess I went a little crazy there.:applause: I used the JD kit and the hole is more like a 4" circle with expanded aluminum for a cover. It seems to cutout when I really open it up, idle fine. It is a drz400sm. I did the jetting according to the instructions. Thanks for all your help Burned, Bill.

Cuts out when the throttle hits about half. I covered up half of the hole with tape and it ran like a dog that just peed on an electric fence. I figured try asking before messing with it because I can't get to the bottom of the carb like the jet kit says, I have to take it out. Thanks again, and I am taking notes so I don't always have to come here. The page on how to check pilot cicuit is awsome, great idea. Bill.

When theres a load on it, or when your really twisting the throttle. I don't think I can get high rpm with a load on, maybe in neutral. Hope this helps, sorry this is hard to do over the internet. Bill.

I did a couple laps around the block and it wouldn't let me twist hard and go, so I would say worse. The bike was warmed up well. Bill.

Actually it ran better, to my suprise. When I hit 3rd and totally twist it, it completely falls out, or 2nd etc..I never imagined this would be so complicated, for me. Should I try tweaking the adj. screw on the bottom of the carb.?

I saw that you told another drz fella to turn the fuel screw out 2.75 turns. The JD kit says to turn it out 2 turns. Is that my problem ?? He has the same config. as me.

with it because I can't get to the bottom of the carb like the jet kit says, I have to take it out. .

(im assuming you have an s/sm with mikuni)

if you replaced the float bowl with the TT hex head screws your in luck....loosen both ends of carb at the boots....take off air box cover if you didnt already.follow the the wire off the side of carb to the wiring harness behind the rear airboot.disconnect(takes 2 seconds)you will have to wiggle it out...once disconnectedpush it out towrds the carb....this will give you a touch more room.remove the bolt from "oil catcher" its a black box on muffler side and push it back......your throttle linkage is hitting that box when you try to rotate the carb...again this only gives you a lil more clearance....back to the choke side.....mounted to your frame near carb(not sure what it is) you have electric wires runnin into a box with heat fins(?)about 2 1/2 by 1 inch...two bolts to remove...just let it dangle to the side....this will give a lil room to get your hands in....now you canwith patience mind you access the float bowl screws with a small allen wrench.....now to be able to remove jets will take a small pair of vice grips and one of those 1 inch long screw driver "bits" for a drill gun.....clamp down on the bit and your all set....sorry for my lack of techincal terms..

hope this helps...zac