Sign in to follow this  

Dont Buy Big Gun Exhausts

This is my big gun exhausts, its not even a year old. Its supoosed to have a ceramic coating, and never chip, crack or RUST..... Dont buy thier crap.

pipe001.jpg

pipe002.jpg

pipe003.jpg

I posted awhile back problems with faded end caps on a bike that gets better housing then a Iraq vets and it also was well under a year. I also listed my EVO X under the biggest regret that I have bought post. The thing is really loud but they claim 96 on the sound test. FMF only for now on.

Wow, that's pretty ugly. I haven't had any rust/corrosion issues, but I love in dry sunny so cal. However, I have had lots of fitment issues. I won't buy BG again either. I'd call them and direct them to this thread and ask if they'll make good and replace it. That's just not right.

I have called and emailed them twice, its been longer than 6 months, and thats all the warranty is for..... so im screwed.... supposed to be mild steel with ceramic coating on it....

My endcap fadded pretty bad too... but i took all the red of so it was just natural.

xmas06005.jpg

I just put a new EVO-X system on mine and have only run it around the block once to test the sound level and performance. I'll have to keep an eye on the finish. I had a FSW header with a Supertrapp muffler before and even the finish on the header was starting to deteriorate. I moved that system over to my son's KLX since I'm trying new stuff on mine.

I got my Big Gun complete system for $380. I was looking at the FMF Q2 or newer, but they want almost $300 just for the muffler.

I think one of the keys to maintaining the finish on these ceramic coated systems is to not let the head pipe get "Red Hot". My bike got real hot when it sat idling too long, and it seems like that's when the finish started to deteriorate.

Make sure you're not jetted too lean, and don't let it idle too long. I've heard a lot of good and bad things about BIg Gun but haven't had to deal with them directly yet.

I know Bill_P had some fitment issues with the older systems, but the installation of the EVO-X on mine was very easy and everything fit very well. It's not as quiet (with the quiet vortex core) as I'd hoped it would be, but it's not obnoxiously loud either.

I guess you don't always get what you pay for. It hurts that I can put a complete new performance dual exhaust system on a V8 for the same price as a dirtbike. I looked at an FMF Q4 the other day. Couldn't help thinking that this $450 slip on muffler looked awfully similar to a $45 Ford Aerostar resonator. That's life.

That said, the exhaust temps from idle to wide open on a dirtbike are extreme, and will cook even the best coatings whether ceramic, anodized, powder, painted or otherwise. The expansion and contraction of the metal doesn't help either.

There should never be any fitment problems. For the money they charge, you'd think they spent sufficiently during R&D to route the connections correctly.

There should never be any fitment problems. For the money they charge, you'd think they spent sufficiently during R&D to route the connections correctly.

Agreed, but BG was happy to tell me how to drill out and modify my exhaust while telling me that it wasn't like I was buying a high tech japanese made item. They emphasised how hard it is to get good help in the US of A. Of course now they're probably made in China with everything else. :applause:

Yeah bill could have something there. i was thinking of getting a bg but now that i know that so many people are having troubles i think that i wil stick with the stock and just put a fsw header on it and call it good.

Yeah bill could have something there. i was thinking of getting a bg but now that i know that so many people are having troubles i think that i wil stick with the stock and just put a fsw header on it and call it good.

That's all I did (FSW header). It fit perfectly and works well. I did spray a few coats of high heat exhaust paint on it before I installed it, and after a few rides the paint is holding up pretty good. Still looks like new. If you go FSW, be prepared to wait a bit for the part to arrive....

I wouldn't mind getting a new muffler some day just for the weight savings, but as brewster mentioned in another post, you save about the weight of .4 gallons of gas with a new muffler. I have to ask myself whether a negligible weight/performance gain is worth a few hundred bucks. Suspension is a much better use of spare change, IMO.

That's all I did (FSW header). It fit perfectly and works well. I did spray a few coats of high heat exhaust paint on it before I installed it, and after a few rides the paint is holding up pretty good. Still looks like new. If you go FSW, be prepared to wait a bit for the part to arrive....

I wouldn't mind getting a new muffler some day just for the weight savings, but as brewster mentioned in another post, you save about the weight of .4 gallons of gas with a new muffler. I have to ask myself whether a negligible weight/performance gain is worth a few hundred bucks. Suspension is a much better use of spare change, IMO.

Well if you ever plan on getting a new silencer go with fmf or pro curcuit. I got my pipe last year and ive people quite a few miles on my bike and my bike looks new. With either of those companies you can expect a good quality exhaust, bg just doesnt have the resources like pc and fmf. And as for price youll have to pay like like 300-350 for one off ebay(where i bought mine).

The only reason why i bought my pipe was visiual appeal, sound, and hoped performance. Well my bike looks a whole lot better, sounds meaner, and a minimal increase in bottom end. I would recomend getting it cause now i like looking at my bike and it sounds like a mxer. :applause:

Can't deny that any aftermarket exhaust is going to look better than the stocker. Don't know why they have to make them look like a retrofit from a Mack truck.

Appreciate the feedback on brands. If I find a PC or FMF for the right price, I'll grab it.