Sign in to follow this  

How to install stomper lever-05 YZ125

Hi All,

Just picked up a used 05 YZ125 for my boys. It shifts fine but neutral is incredibly hard to find. The original owner said it has always been that way. Did some research on this site and read about this stomper lever issue.

Can this part be replaced by just removing the clutch cover, clutch plates and basket? Or does the entire side cover need to come off? If it does, does the water pump need to be removed before the entire cover will come off?

As a work around for not having a clutch removal tool, could you just keep the engine from turning by using the rear brake to break loose the nut holding the clutch basket on?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

I think the stomper lever from an 07' YZ125 will fix that problem. From what I've read you can install it just by removing the clutch components.

ride 2 live is right. you can do the job through the clutch cover!

idahoexcr500,

I just installed the '07 stopper lever in both of my (2) '06 YZ125's. You don't have to remove the waterpump from the right side cover, but you will have to remove a couple of bolts that go through the water pump. It will then pull off with the right side cover. Motion Pro make an awesome universal clutch holding tool for holding the inner clutch hub for $30. It's worth every penny and doubles as a flywheel holding tool. No, you can't use the rear brake to hold because you have to remove the pressure plate and clutch plate springs to get to the nut that you are talking about. With the springs removed and no spring pressure on the inner clutch hub, it will spin freely from the basket. Also, don't forget to remove the power valve cover on the right side of the cylinder and disconnect the power valve linkage. I hope this helps you out.

Rob

One more question MotoXRob529,

Were you having any shifting related issues with either of your 125s? Mine shifts fine both up and down but neutral is very hard to find and even then only with the engine off.

The consequences of having the bearing explode into the tranny don't sound very inviting.

MotoXRob529,

I am going to install the lever in a couple of days and was wondering why you have to remove the power valve cover and linkage. I took apart the clutch a couple of days ago and do not see why you would do this. Thanks in advance.

One more question MotoXRob529,

Were you having any shifting related issues with either of your 125s? Mine shifts fine both up and down but neutral is very hard to find and even then only with the engine off.

The consequences of having the bearing explode into the tranny don't sound very inviting.

Hello. I never had any shifting issues at all with the old stopper levers. I was just paranoid that the old style stopper lever was going to "grenade" on me. The '05-06 stopper lever is a poor design.

Burgunder,

It is easier to leave the power valve governor in the right side cover and just remove the power valve linkage from the cylinder. Just remove the three bolts and cover from the right side of the cylinder and one bolt holding the power valve linkage and your done. It takes about two minutes with a t-handle. I hope this helps you all out. :applause: