Sign in to follow this  

bigtime spooge

I took the 99 rm250 to the track for the first time and after one hour of riding I had spooge dripping all the way down the silencer. Plug looks perfect and I am running a 152 main and a 38 pilot with a 40:1 ratio. I have searched spooge on the forums but some say its jetting while others say its the premix. I am using the maxima synthetic for the premix. Any ideas?

Without knowing the temperature and elevation of where you were/are riding it is impossible to make jetting suggestions, but it sounds like you are running rich jetting for the conditions. Try dropping your needle by raising the clip one position or drop down to a leaner main jet.

Has the bike spooged like that before?

This was the 2nd time I have ridden it and the first was a trail at 4000 feet and there was a little spooge. The last time I was around 3500 feet but I was at a track.

The carb has a silver needle in it so I am guessing it is aftermarket, and its at the 2nd from top clip position.

Umm, what reeds do you have in there? Could be a problem with them being worn or cracked.

How much were you running @ WOT and what was the temp outside?

I just put in Boyesen power reeds when I replaced the top end. A decent amount of WOT on the track but not much into the powerband because it feels like an unpredictible push of the nitrous button. The air temp was about 63-66 F.

i have the exact same bike as you and have never had an issue with spooge. you silencer packing could have gone bad and its time to repack. i dont have the boyseen reeds tho that could have changed your jetting a little. BTW what maxima oil are you using? if your running 927( what i run) or k2 you have to be revving to piss out of the motor to burn the extra oil otherwise it can become spooge. when im doing trail is switch to super M premix because it burns cleaner and easier at lower rpms. good luck. let us know how you solve the problem

I just repacked the silencer when I rebuilt it. I am pretty sure I am using the K2. So I should switch, huh? On the track there are times when I rev it but it just hits so hard that I would get in serious trouble running it that hard. I mostly ran it in 3rd but I am not that good at fine clutchwork with this bike so I was in the mid RPMs mostly. there doesn't seem to be a halfway point on the clutch, it just grabs 100% or is disengaged (I was told it is a relatively new clutch).

It's the reeds.

When you read the directions they say it doesn't change low and midrange rpm jetting, but real world fact is that it does. Spooge is rich and power reeds do make it rich.

The simple test is to change the reeds back to the old ones and see what happens which might also change the bike back to more predictable, too.

And/or are you sure you got the powervalve back in the same position when you were done rebuilding? Regardless, monkeying around with the powervalve might be an easier to solve the 'hit' though you'll still have to rejet or change the reeds back.

I did not disassemble the powervalve because it was pretty darn clean and functioned perfectly when the actuating arm was moved. I am not sure if the prev owner messed with it though. The more I think about the needle keeps coming up. Its silver and is kind of loose in the slide. Should I get a stock needle just to see?

I wouldn't worry about the needle as that's more a fine tuning adjustment when going from slow idle up. It may make it run a bit rich at some point, but I don't think it would be responsible for the vast amount of spooge you have. I'd rather change the main jet than monkey with the needle right off.

If the plug looks good after you rode which you indicated, where you finished the ride isn't the problem as in if you went on a straight road and wound it out. That would clean the plug though you'd still have spooge from the rest of the ride at lower rpm.

What reeds were in there before?

And while it might be extremely loud since you are going to need to remove the silencer to repack anyhow, put in some earplugs and run the bike with the silencer off at different throttle levels and look to see when the spooge is coming out.