Sign in to follow this  

TDC on SM610

I'm getting ready to check the valves on my 610 this weekend and wanted to know if you guys are removing the left cover and using that Husqvarna tool to to line up the TDC marking or of there's another way for me to get it to TDC without having to do this? I know I can turn the crank using the rear wheel with 6th gear engaged but are there any markings with the valve covers removed that will tell me when I've hit TDC, like the twin cam Huskies? Thank you.

I'm getting ready to check the valves on my 610 this weekend and wanted to know if you guys are removing the left cover and using that Husqvarna tool to to line up the TDC marking or of there's another way for me to get it to TDC without having to do this? I know I can turn the crank using the rear wheel with 6th gear engaged but are there any markings with the valve covers removed that will tell me when I've hit TDC, like the twin cam Huskies? Thank you.

That little tool is too expensive! Forgot what the price was but I remember it wasn't cheap!

With the valve access covers removed, you can use the position of the rocker arms to tell whether you are on the compression stroke at TDC. I remove the spark plug, and insert a pencil or zip tie in the plug hole to find TDC by turning the rear wheel with the tranny in gear. Pretty easy to do.

Don't use pencil have taken off more heads because people have broken them off. Use long screw driver or piece of welding rod. Just remove the LH small cover use socket to turn over motor. With plug out and cover off check direction of rotation of motor, just bump the starter looking at the end of crankshaft. Then with rocker covers off watch the Intake valves go down then when comming up gently hold the rod in the spark plug hole, by turning the crankshaft and supporting the rod in sparkplug hole you will find TDC on the compression stroke. Later George