Sign in to follow this  

About to by a 2003 crf450r spermoto, Help please!!!

I've searched around the forum and found a lot of questions answered but I have a couple I would like to ask directly to you guys.

I have an opportunity to buy a crf450r supermoto that is registered, plated, and fully street legal. I don’t want to pass on this opportunity cause you already know how rare a street legal supermoto crf is but I'm worried about a few things.

I went this past Sunday to have a look at it. The bike is awesome and I am very close to purchasing it.

Here is a link to the bike: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/276336018.html

I would be using the bike to ride to work (7-10 miles) a few days a week and a little cruising around on the weekend. I live in Los Angeles where you should know is always sunny, so keep in mind an average temperature of mid 70's. Also keep in mind how retarded the traffic is, which is leading up to the question about overheating. What steps should I take to insure I don’t stress out the engine? The guy recommended cutting lanes when I do encounter extreme traffic and to keep and eye on things the bike does have a temperature gage on it. But what temperatures are normal? I did see a post of someone putting a fan on the radiator...

Next question is about maintenance. I've seen post of people changing oil on their bikes after 5 hours of ridding. That's not realistic for me. What is reasonable for the kind of ridding I will be doing in the city. Every couple of months...?

The bike has been sitting for a bit and he recommended a tune up. It started right up but died a few times and was backfiring when he rode it around the block (he didn’t let me test ride it, so I asked him to take it out so I can listen to it and see him go through the gears). So what would you guys do exactly? Oil, coolant, tune the carb...???

Thanks in advance I really appreciate everyone’s help.

I have an 02 that's street legal. I put a Vapor w/ temp and if you sit for more than say 5 min. it will get up to 190-200. When I get going the temp drops to 140-150 sometimes lower when doing 60 mph and up. It has stock radiators but I'm putting some fluidynes on it. The fan is a good idea, make sure you have a good battery and your charging system can handle it.

I wouldn't go more than 50-60 miles on oil. It ain't the best choice for a commuter bike but it is fun.

I would also be a little worried about the backfiring. Normally they'll pop alittle when downshifting but if it's backfiring when warmed up then it might be valve related/timing, you never know.