Sign in to follow this  

560 miles 70+mph hard dez trails. Valves?

I just wanted to let everyone know that after my 5th gear pinned riding last week my valves are still dead on. I currently have 3000+miles on my ride and all is still in good shape.

That's good to hear Tatooart .

I'll bet that was fun,too. Looking outside at the 33 degree temperatures, I envy you ! Doug

You've got more miles(450x) than I've heard anyone have without a valve replacement.

You've got more miles(450x) than I've heard anyone have without a valve replacement.

There are quite a few including myself that are past that mark.

For every one of you guys still rollin I know 2 that have had to replace em. Some of them a top end too, that's not Honda reliability to me.I'm not talking about guys that trash their bikes either.

I got over 3000 miles and had to shim 1 intake once. Can't say the same thing about an 03 R that I had for a few years. Maintenance was the same for both bikes, but the new seat material on the 05 X seems to be holding up good. I think the guys that have problems aren't giving their bikes a chance(good maintenance schedule, watch the RPM's, or in "Race" mode all the time)

I ride with guys on KTM's and Husky's and they all have had to put a lot more time and money in their bikes to follow me and my X:thumbsup:

All I'm saying is all of us know someone with a valve, tranny or motor problem on an X, that's sub Honda.

I got over 3000 miles and had to shim 1 intake once. Can't say the same thing about an 03 R that I had for a few years. Maintenance was the same for both bikes, but the new seat material on the 05 X seems to be holding up good.

Hmmm... my '03 450R held up for 3yrs before I sold it... and, I put that bike through the ringer! I sold it with a new valve job ($1100) as it had some wear... but not too bad.

Everyone can have problems with any brand... Valves are valves... they will wear, they will eventually need some TLC. This isn't a brand problem... it's a rider/owner problem. I put my bikes through hell and back when I ride them... and each bike I've owned has held up beyond it's call of duty.

Ever hear that one guy in camp... pulls his bike out of the truck and immediately wants to start it up, then hit the rev limiter within a second of it being started!! As he looks around... he's thinking we all think he's cool, only to know we're thinking he's an idiot and he's the one with the problems. He'll be the one reporting brand problems on the internet.

I'm literally tired of it. Too many people who don't even know how to ride, let alone how to treat their bikes... coming on the internet to bash a brand.

All I'm saying is all of us know someone with a valve, tranny or motor problem on an X, that's sub Honda.

Wrong. This has not been my experience, at all.

Wrong. This has not been my experience, at all

Well, that's two of us.

Eventually, with a whole bunch of hour they all need valves, but that's not a problem as far as I'm concerned, it's maintenance.

If it's a new problem, and we're talking about a 450X, especially a really new one like say 200 or so hours or less I think that's going to be an owner thing.

Such as air cleaner problems, carb and intake boots leaking,measuring clearances wrong, etc.

Hey gprodick, you're the one who posted that picture for us though,or starte d that thread,whatever, it was valuable info ! Doug

Hmmm... my '03 450R held up for 3yrs before I sold it... and, I put that bike through the ringer! I sold it with a new valve job ($1100) as it had some wear... but not too bad.

Everyone can have problems with any brand... Valves are valves... they will wear, they will eventually need some TLC. This isn't a brand problem... it's a rider/owner problem. I put my bikes through hell and back when I ride them... and each bike I've owned has held up beyond it's call of duty.

Ever hear that one guy in camp... pulls his bike out of the truck and immediately wants to start it up, then hit the rev limiter within a second of it being started!! As he looks around... he's thinking we all think he's cool, only to know we're thinking he's an idiot and he's the one with the problems. He'll be the one reporting brand problems on the internet.

I'm literally tired of it. Too many people who don't even know how to ride, let alone how to treat their bikes... coming on the internet to bash a brand.

Awesome:applause:

I know many peolpe that have passed the 3k mark without issue.

I have at least 4K on mine and it is fine.

Can I get an AMEN brother!!!!:applause:

I didn't want this thread to be a bashing contest I was just informing everyone that my valves are fine at 3k miles. But I guess there are many people that do not like the honda's and have had a hard time with them as well. Sorry that this thread ended up this way it is by no means what i wanted.

I, too, had my 03 R for almost 3 years and it held up good except for a couple valve jobs and shimming. But it was rode mostly in deep sand at higher RPM. I loved that bike. I mainly use my X in the mountains and longer adventures and the RPM's are mostly lower.

Totally agree with you how some people bash our bikes on here that don't have a clue.

Okay. So much for my valves never needing adjustment. I took it apart today to replace my Stage 2 Hot Cam with a Stage 1. My left intake was at .003". All the others were fine. That's the first time they've been off.

I adjusted the wayward valve and hope that holds up for awhile. I'm about to head down to Baja for a week. I sure don't need any problems down there.

I didn't get a chance to ride it with the Stage 1. I'm anxious to see the difference from the Stage 2. I think I'll go out early tomorrow morning for a bit.

Can I get an AMEN brother!!!!:applause:

JAT chime in here. He just did a complete rebuild on his X with less than 2K miles on it. JAT do you ride any harder than the top 2 at D 38? They have not done big motor work, granted one is on an old, old, old 650r and the other is on a 450 KTM. I'm not bashing Honda. I'm just a little spoiled. My 650 is going on 19K desert miles and it's only been through 2 clutches. That's the kind of reliability I'm talking about. Granted I'm only a 50 year old slow guy that has to work hard to crack the 50s overall. Still no matter how you phrase it the X is not that reliable. Even 5K is a rebuild every year for most guys that play in the desert, that's not bashing it's just asking for better from Honda.