Sign in to follow this  

TC450 power vs. 510SMR power

My 510 with a full Leo Vince has tremendous power. I run the pipe without a spark arrestor and the largest diameter end cap.

I'm still breaking in the 450. Needless to say that with the spark arrested, 80db muffler power is way down.

The closed competition (CC) muffler that comes with the bike is straight through but has no SA. So I modified the CC muffler by swapping the internal exhaust tubes b/t the two. Essentially I end up with a straight through non-restricted muffler with a SA for zero dollar investment.

Power wise there still seems to be a significant gap in power. Would the Leo Vince be that much of an improvement?

I guess I'll see how things progress with the 450 as it loosens up a bit...

The power bands of the 450 -vs- 510 motors are completly different. Like Apples to Oranges.

I would check the jetting 1st before spending the $$$ on an aftermarket pipe. I thought the Arrow Ti Pipe was top of the line ?

The 450 is acting tempramental-hard to start after warm even when using the hot start button. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The 510 was also dying occassionaly after warm with 1/8 throttle applied. It has a JD kit installed:

185 main

42 pilot

leak jet-forgot what size

small oring on AP

red needle 4th position

2 turns out from full clockwise om mixture screw

To try and cure the 1/8 throttle stall I upped the pilot on the 510 to a 48.

I have now baselined the 450 same as the 510, but without the JD needle and leak jet.

See what happens... I also understand that for the most power the fuel mixture should be "optimally" lean

42 pilot seems a bit lean on a 41mm carb (less vacume at low rpms so need larger jet)

I would be using a 48 at or near sea level. My 05 TC450 needed a 50 or better to run cleanly.

William