Sign in to follow this  

cam timing on a 05 rmz250

I just got done rebuilding my top end. I dont have a service manual and the timing is off. If anybody could email me a copy of the cam timing or tell me were i could find the pictures of it on the internet it would help a lot. thanks!

I Don't have any links to a page on how to do the timing on your bike, but I can explain it to you.

You need to take the timing cover off and make sure that your crank is at top dead center. Once you have it at top dead center you need to make sure that your cam gears are alligned properly. They have 2 timing marks on them, you need to make sure that one of the dots is at the top of the gear, and he other one is inline with the head case. It's really hard to explain but here is a picture that I quickly drew. I hope it helps.

timingpic.jpg

When you put the chain on the cam gears be sure to keep the chain tight between the gears. If you get too much droop between the gears when setting the timing, the timing will be off when you put the chain tensoiner in and if you don't check it twice before putting the cover on your valves are going to meet your piston. See the article in Dirt Rider.