Sign in to follow this  

Inner chamber oil bleed question..

I put 200cc of oil in each chamber, pumped the dampner rod approx 15 times to bleed off any air. Only got squirted with oil in 1 eye :applause: .

I installed the base valve assys, And pumped each rod all the way in several times to purge the excess oil. Well the rods wouldnt extend all the way back out. I had to pull them out the last 1/2" or so. :lol:

So I pull out my trusty owners manual and it says to only push the rods in

100mm/3.9". I take them apart again, add some more oil, get oil squirted up my nose:applause: . Install the base valves and this time I only push the rods in 100mm to purge the excess oil. The rods extend completely now and everthing is good.:lol:

This morning I look up Shawn MC fork seal procedure and in there he states

to push the dampner rods ALL THE WAY IN. So now I is confused.

Did I do it right and if not, will any more oil purge out into the outer chambers when the forks bottom out?

I was confused by this also. At first I pumped them 100mm to bleed the excess air. At the same time I would flick the chamber to the mid valve with my finger to release any air bubbles. Then when I thought there was no air left I threaded in the fork cap assembly. After this I pumped the rod all the way in to bleed the rest of the excess oil so that it wouldn't overfill the outter chamber. Then blew in the holes with compressed air.

The bleeding process is simple but takes time. After you pour the fluid into the chamber, pump the rod up and down about six inches, then let it sit for about fifteen minutes. This lets all the air rise to the top. When you pump the damping rod up and down, go up and down a bit slower. You're looking for a steady firm pace. The point is to get all the air bubbles trapped below the rebound/midvalve assembly up above. That way when you add the innner chamber spring assembly you will be able to purge them out. Make sure you have the comprssion turned all the way out or soft. Now tighten everything and push teh damping rod all the way in in a stready firm fashion. You should get a burp of air/oil. tip the entire asembly over and see if you get any oil to drain out of the two breather holes on the side of the chaber assembly. you should ghet about 3mm to 15mm or so.

If they don't come all the way out, that means you still have a bit of air in them somewhere. You can do everything right and still have to do over because of a stuborn air bubble somewhere. I do forks all the time and sometimes it just takes a few times.

Also, if you can't seem to get all the air out, you may have a blown damping rod oil seal. If that's the case pm me and I'll walk you through the process or do it for you. It ain't easy but it is possible and it gets you back up and running with some really good suspension again.

on the second time I did them,(after I put the spring/valve assy back in) I only pushed the rod up about 4". Excess oil did purge out. But since I did not push the rods ALL the way in, do you think there is still excess oil in the inner chambers?

If you haven't put them back on the bike, push them in all the way. Just four inches isn't enough to make sure all the air is out. It's important because if there is air in there you will loose the damping effect and also create cavitation inside, just making things worse. Right now all you are doing is wasting a small amount of fluid and gaining a lot of experience at bleeding. I would suggest (if you have to do it again) filling them to the proper amount, pumping them up aned down, let them sit about 1/2 hour, come back and pump them again (only need to pump up and down about 6 inches, just real firm), let them sit, pump again after thirty minutes, then reassemble, burp them, make sure damping rod fully extends, drain excess, finish assembly and put them on the bike.