Sign in to follow this  

How do you protect your bike, gear during outings?

When you’re out camping, how do you ensure your bike, gear, friends and family are protected after dark?

- Do you lock your bikes?

- Do you pack ‘heat’ and sleep lightly?

- Do you post a guard and sleep in shifts?

- Do you deploy your canine companion?

- Does your group ‘Circle the Wagons’?

- Do you only camp out on full moons to enhance your night vision?

- Do you only camp out on new moons to decrease your adversaries’ night vision?

- Do you break out the ‘crank’ and stay close to the fire all night?

- Do you just huddle in your tent, RV or vehicle and pray for sunrise?

I never worry about it. I usually bring a cable lock and lock my bike to the truck, but I'm also sleeping 5 feet away so I'd hear if anybody came up. The fire is usually out by the time I go to sleep, heck, I'm more worried about my tent catching fire, than I am of anybody taking my bike.

I never worry about it.

same here. when i camp in moab, or idaho, i'm not that near other people. i just park the bike and climb in the trailer and sleep. i don't think i'd enjoy riding where i had to worry about stuff like that.

where are you camping that theft is an issue?

Lets just say anybody stupid enough to even attempt to take any of our machines at our campgrounds should just go ahead and reserve a plot at their local cemetary. I'm not goin into specifics and I'm dead serious.

same here. when i camp in moab, or idaho, i'm not that near other people. i just park the bike and climb in the trailer and sleep. i don't think i'd enjoy riding where i had to worry about stuff like that.

where are you camping that theft is an issue?

It looks like it doesn't matter whether you camp or not. Your stuff isn't even safe in Kansas toto.:applause:

See http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478550

It looks like it doesn't matter whether you camp or not. Your stuff isn't even safe in Kansas toto.:applause:

imho, camping most places is MUCH safer than leaving your bike in the back of your truck. when i camp, it's pretty remote, and the only other people around are other dirtbikers, and they're not that close, and they're real dirtbikers, not punk gangsta posers or something.

at home is a different matter. i would be nervous leaving the bikes in the truck unlocked to go into walmart. i wouldn't even consider leaving them in the truck overnight. i don't even like to leave my garage door open when i'm in the backyard. i just don't want any jerk that drives past on the street to even know that i own bikes. that'll just give them a reason to break into the garage.

i believe that most bikes are stolen from people's homes, not from their campsites, but that's a non-scientific opinion that may not be correct.

The only time I have ever camped with the bikes are at races, I just put the bikes under the awning and go to sleep.

But if I have the bikes in the back of the truck and stay at a hotel or have the bikes in a populated area I will attach a cable or cain to the bike and the tie down loops in the truck bed.

Most homeowners will cover losses while camping. They usually DO NOT cover the bike(s) but will cover any gear, parts, tools, belongings, etc. that gets lifted. Look into it before assuming anything.

We plan on camping this summer and I am looking into a kryptonite lock for the bike. I would chain it to the hitch on my truck and put my tent close-by. Gear and toolbox would stay locked in the truck.

Where we camp I don't worry too much about it. I still have a kyptonite that I attached through the swingarm and spokes though. And we also put the bikes near the tent. If someone trys to roll it the wheel will lock up. Most things are stolen out of convienence. If it's a real theif you'll never know they were there anyway.

I always lock my bike to the trailer when towing. Good habit and it's a nice safty net in case the straps break. I'd rather drag my bike down the road then see it go into a car.

Well, if I were to be camping, I would not worry about my bikes being stolen. If you were to be at a hotel...and your bikes were outside in an open trailer....then yeah....you better pack that heat yo'!!

Well, if I were to be camping, I would not worry about my bikes being stolen. If you were to be at a hotel...and your bikes were outside in an open trailer....then yeah....you better pack that heat yo'!!

The bad part is you can't shoot them to protect your property, If they threaten your life while you are trying to prevent them from taking your property before pulling your gun, you wil most likely be ok but figure about 50K in legal fees to defend yourself if you are in the right, the cost and headaches will go up from there. Just somthing to keep in mind.

The bad part is you can't shoot them to protect your property, If they threaten your life while you are trying to prevent them from taking your property before pulling your gun, you wil most likely be ok but figure about 50K in legal fees to defend yourself if you are in the right, the cost and headaches will go up from there. Just somthing to keep in mind.
Thats why you shoot to kill so they cant tell there side of the story

When I go out on a camping and riding weekend, I really don't worry about it much. I never go to a campground where there are a lot of people around me. Generally it's out in the desert or some super secret (legal) spots in the Sierras. The next closest camper is usually a good part of a mile away if not several miles. I have been know to have my SKS handy though.

We do usually bring extra bikes. That means they are left at the campsite when we are on a ride. These bikes get locked up.

Lets just say anybody stupid enough to even attempt to take any of our machines at our campgrounds should just go ahead and reserve a plot at their local cemetary. I'm not goin into specifics and I'm dead serious.

damn right buddy, y do people have to take other peoples things, i fu**in hate theives

See http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478550

That was out of the back of a truck - not camping, if I read that right.

In an area where others are - camp ground with other dirt bikers for instance, I have introduced my group to the neighbors, described who we were, what bikes, gear etc. Basically watch each others sites / equipment.

When you’re out camping, how do you ensure your bike, gear, friends and family are protected after dark?

Yes, with noisy chains, to the frame of the toy hauler

Yes, for many reasons, though deterring the theft of a highly replicable object is not a primary one. Not worth a day in court, let alone years in court and a life savings in lawyers fees

No

Yes

To the bumper of the truck, or in the back of the truck, and bring the loading ramp into the tent-good luck getting 3 bikes out of a truck that are chained together with no ramp!:eek:

Yes, but you don't have to shoot to kill-the most universally understood sound in any language on the planet earth is the slide of a shotgun being racked. That sound loosens more bowels than any other.

No

He's gotta earn his kibble somehow, and licking my boots don't pay for diddly!:applause:

- Do you just huddle in your tent, RV or vehicle and pray for sunrise?

No, I am not an inner-city dweller, and refuse to behave like one. :lol:

If you really want to get an early warning, take a few pop cans, run a string through the tabs, and throw a dozen or so BB's into each can, and run the string around your perimeter-tons of racket, will wake the dead, and scare off prowlers before they get close enough to mooch a beer! (and gives the kids something to do while you prep dinner):lol:

See a lot of you guys lock up your bikes in the truck.. this is easy for the theifs as they just take the whole truck and deal with it later...

I worry about it because I have a loan for my toy and the thought of payments on something I don't have makes me sick...

So we usually just lock all the bikes together facing different directions... and maybe one more chain to the trailer.. no matter where we camp there is always yahoos that is what the 30 30 is for!