Sign in to follow this  

flame out

bought an 05 rmz with about 10 hrs on it a month ago and i absolutely love this bike....here is my problem the machine starts and idles fine accelerates perfectly runs great all through rpm's but when i am rippin it through the woods at race speeds if i pull in the clutch to make a quick stop it will just shut off. not all the time but definately enough to wherre i wouldn't want to run this thing in any scrambles. a guy at a local shop suggested that i am too lean. the pilot comes stock with 42 stepped it up to a 45 and moved my needle up one notch and the bike ran like total shit.....needless to say i put the old pilot back in and now i am considering the boyeson ap cover. has any one else encountered this?

Does it start and idle ok when it's good and hot? Id also suspect the fuel screw. If it starts and idles fine when it's cold, then doesn't idle hot, I think you're too rich on the screw.

If not, check your clutch for wear. Specifically grooves in the basket preventing it from disengaging.

This is what I did to get my 06 to not stall in the corners (mx). Turn the fuel screw in until the engine backfires on decel. Then back it out a quarter turn at a time till the backfire goes away. Don't be suprised if you have to turn it in alot.

A bike that stalls when you chop the throttle (let off) is usually rich.