Sign in to follow this  

Too heavy?

Am i too heavy to be competetive on my bike? Its an 05 CRF250 and i weigh about 230lbs..... i was thinking of going back to the 250 2t......

do u feel like i can man handle ur 250f....i would go with a 450f or a 250

You need a 450. Sorry, basic physics here. Too much mass, not enuf oomph=no enough speed.

You need a 450. Sorry, basic physics here. Too much mass, not enuf oomph=no enough speed.

:applause: What he said. IF you really want to be competative. My 2 pennies.

Get a 450, you will love it. I actually just moved down form a 2004 crf450. I am about 5'7 and 155lbs. The 450 will have all the power that you will need. Good Luck! :applause:

I am also 230 lbs. I have owned nothing but 450's since 2002 and love them but have always been nostalgic for my teenage 125 days. At my weight a 125 is completely unrealistic so I bought a 2005 CRF250 instead. Talk about fun.

If having a good time is what you are after then the 250 will get the job done. If being a competitive racer is your goal then I would be hesitant. I raced the 250 and 450 novice (125 & 250 ) classes on the same day and won the 450 class easily and got 6th in the smaller class. The riders in the bigger class were actually a little faster. The result just has to do with getting a horrible start ( due to my girth ) and not having enough ooomph to competitevely drag me up hills.

I also have a harder time skimming whoops unless there is a real good run to get up to speed. Right out of a corner It just doesn't have the pull to get me on top.

Having said all of this I have since sold my 450 and only have the 250. Sometimes fun is more important than anything else.

I am also 230 lbs. I have owned nothing but 450's since 2002 and love them but have always been nostalgic for my teenage 125 days. At my weight a 125 is completely unrealistic so I bought a 2005 CRF250 instead. Talk about fun.

If having a good time is what you are after then the 250 will get the job done. If being a competitive racer is your goal then I would be hesitant. I raced the 250 and 450 novice (125 & 250 ) classes on the same day and won the 450 class easily and got 6th in the smaller class. The riders in the bigger class were actually a little faster. The result just has to do with getting a horrible start ( due to my girth ) and not having enough ooomph to competitevely drag me up hills.

I also have a harder time skimming whoops unless there is a real good run to get up to speed. Right out of a corner It just doesn't have the pull to get me on top.

Having said all of this I have since sold my 450 and only have the 250. Sometimes fun is more important than anything else.

I weigh in at 218 and I rip on my 250. I smoke a guy I road with that had a 450. i did a 14.8.1 piston and pipe though. my next bike I have to say is a 450x for the gearing anf light.

I'm 215 0ver 30 B rider. came off a 02 450 to a 05 crf 250. I put the thumper racing 270 kit in and can hold my own in my class. a lot more lower end power/torqe to get my arse going out of the corners. It may not be the fastest off the line or on top speed but everywhere else it's just fine.

The lighter weight of the 250 helps me keep consisitant times throughout a race. I used to get more tired with the 450 and my lap times showed.

Depending on what class you ride, the big bore kit might be a good option for you as well. That is unless your some expert/Pro guy racing other 450s... then I'd get a 450.

I am just like kenaroo same class and weight and have no problems with the 250 actually a 276 Ice-Cube.Right now 215 plus gear so really 230 yikes I need to loose weight.I balme it on the winter. 230 is heavy but not crazy.I had a 02 450 and it was great but I love my 250 and beat 450's all day long.And yes it is all about fun!