Sign in to follow this  

dosen't like water

hi all,

can anyone help me solve the problem that whenever my exc 450 gets wet it runs bad and wont tick over without me giving it some revs. what i mean by wet is puddles not deep water.

the air filter is well oiled. I wondered if there is a drain hole where the spark plug screws into the head that may be blocked and not allowing water to escape from around the ht lead. The ht lead and cap looks sound no splits.

thanks in advance Ben

I would start by taking all you electrical conections appart and cleaning them. Put some silicone dyelecteric lube on the connectores befor plugging them together. This will water prufe them. :applause:

What year bike? In 05 the changed the black box on the L side of the steering head. The early ones IF your fork hit the box will crack the box, then it becomes water sensitive

Could be a couple of different things. If the puddle is deep enough that even the very bottom of the motor is submerged, then I would say it is the carb vents that are your problem. There are two that vent the float bowl, you just have to run one of them up high enough to let air in and your stall will disappear.

If you are just splashing through a puddle, then it probably is your spark plug wire/cap. Doesn't take much water there to cause a stall. You can screw the wire in to the cap more, or replace it. Some people like to put dielectric grease in there to keep the water out. The drain hole filling or not wouldn't kill the spark if your wire was still making a good connection.

Good Luck!

thanks for all the replies. its an 04 bike the black box is sound. I have cut an inch back off the ht lead to try get a better conection not to long ago perhaps a new lead is needed. Ill try re-routing the vent pipes first.

Could be a couple of different things. If the puddle is deep enough that even the very bottom of the motor is submerged, then I would say it is the carb vents that are your problem. There are two that vent the float bowl, you just have to run one of them up high enough to let air in and your stall will disappear.

If you are just splashing through a puddle, then it probably is your spark plug wire/cap. Doesn't take much water there to cause a stall. You can screw the wire in to the cap more, or replace it. Some people like to put dielectric grease in there to keep the water out. The drain hole filling or not wouldn't kill the spark if your wire was still making a good connection.

Good Luck!

I would get a new cap too. I had this happen with my old bike. A small puddle on this table and my bike would sputter and almost die. I ran home and grabbed a fresh cap and the problem went away. checking your other connections is a good idea too... just to prevent future problems.