Sign in to follow this  

Alternative to trickle charger?

Provided it does not over charge, yes it will do the job.

I use a similar one for my car, as it only does about 1500 miles a year and gets left for weeks at a time without being started.

It also has an alarm draining the battery, along with me plugging the tire pump in once a week to do the bike tires, and running the car radio whenever I'm working on, or cleaning the bike.

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol:

You do not want a trickle charger of any kind and a solar charger is a trickle charger. You need a smart charger, the kind that only charges the battery when it drops below a set level and then shuts off again when the battery is charged up again. The constant charging from trickle chargers just slow cooks your battery.

Batteries AND Electrical Systems are way to expensive to mess with. :eek:

I strongly recommend that you buy one of these for every bike in your garage. :applause:

Keep them hooked up during all extended periods of non-activity...........your bikes will love you for taking such good care of them:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_21-2102

............and now, some bikes are getting those very expensive computer systems that monitor & adjust nearly everything that's going on. I don't think that I would hook up anything that hasn't had a very long & very proven track record.

Hope this helps!!

Happy Riding !!

:lol: :lol:

Speaking of chargers.... I recently bought a Yuasa smart charger. It failed after a month. I contacted the company, I sent it back. A week later a new one arrived. It worked but the power indicator did not light up. I contacted Yuasa again. This time.... I did not have to send the defective charger back and..... they sent me TWO replacements. I called to see if this was a mistake, they said no, that they wanted to make sure I was a happy customer. Now I have three of them! And it is not even my birthday!

Speaking of chargers.... I recently bought a Yuasa smart charger. It failed after a month. I contacted the company, I sent it back. A week later a new one arrived. It worked but the power indicator did not light up. I contacted Yuasa again. This time.... I did not have to send the defective charger back and..... they sent me TWO replacements. I called to see if this was a mistake, they said no, that they wanted to make sure I was a happy customer. Now I have three of them! And it is not even my birthday!

Woo Hoo!!:lol: :lol:

...but what does that say about their confidence in their product???:applause::eek:

Actually, they told me when I called the first time this was the first complaint on this model charger in two years. I think if they had a lot of problems, they would not of sent me two. Can you imagine the expense if they did that all the time. If it is as rare as they said, the costs over a year are insiginifcant. My own previous experience with Yuasa prodcts is they have always been top shelf. I think I just had a little bad luck that turned in to terrific luck.