Sign in to follow this  

Rotary piston engine coming?? MYT engine

"The MYT™ (Massive Yet Tiny) Engine, a breakthrough of immense proportions, that will spawn the next industrial revolution, and will rocket the Internal Combustion Engine into the next milenium."

That is a very bold statement.

"O"

I guess the guy failed to realize that mazda already made a rotary engine how long ago?

Completely different rotary motor design. This is a sideways piston design.

The Excel spread sheet makes a pretty convincing demonstration on how it would really work.

I noticed that nothing has been newsworthy in a year. :applause:

This looks like it would be a lot less efficient than the traditional rotary design in mazdas...but that could also be that nothing is really explained, and it's difficult to tell what the hell I'm looking at. If they actually make it work, they might as well adapt it for hydrogen use, if it is going to "spawn the next industrial revolution".

This looks like it would be a lot less efficient than the traditional rotary design in mazdas...but that could also be that nothing is really explained, and it's difficult to tell what the hell I'm looking at. If they actually make it work, they might as well adapt it for hydrogen use, if it is going to "spawn the next industrial revolution".

It almost looks like a turbine... with pistons instead of blades.

And forget hydrogen. I bet it'll run on fusion.

image_119.jpg

"O"

That is one funky set up. I guess the pistons oscillate back and forth inside that donut-shaped cylinder and whack against each other. I can only imagine what wear is going to be like since the inner radius of the cylinder is smaller than the outer radius. This means the pistons can't be cylindrical but are shaped like curved cylinders. How you would produce that on a mass production basis, and make it affordable, I can't begin to imagine. How would you work on it? How would you get the pistons into that curved cylinder. I don't know of any ICEs (internal combustions engines) that use a split cylinder sleeve. How are you going to seal that? How are you going to lubricate it?

This looks like an interesting idea but are, like the slide crank engine and sleeve valves, probably not practical.

One of these days I'm going to build a gas-turbine (jet) powered motorcycle. A German company called Jet-cat makes jet engines about a foot long and four inches in diameter. Pass the exhaust over a turbine and use reduction gears to get power to the countershaft. Maximum torque would be at 0 RPM!

To get completely blown away:eek: and see what these little engines are capable of, check out the video on this page. Let it load then watch it. It is worth the wait.

http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html#

Are we living in the future or what?

My $.02,

John

My guess is the spark arrestor on the jet motorcycle would weigh about the same as the rest of the motor.

If you want a good understanding of the motor, check out the Excel spread sheet, it really shows how the action works. It's more 2-stroke like with ports that get opened and closed.

If they ever get the motor working and it is nearly as good as they think, people will be blowing the connecting rods when they "hotrod" them.

It would take a lot of machining, but look at all of the valve train and cams that are not needed. CNC machines can crank out things pretty quickly.

The biggest advantage seems to be the lower weight and smaller size. Make a small one, hook it up to a generator, use the saved space and weight for batteries on a hybred.

One of these days I'm going to build a gas-turbine (jet) powered motorcycle. A German company called Jet-cat makes jet engines about a foot long and four inches in diameter. Pass the exhaust over a turbine and use reduction gears to get power to the countershaft. Maximum torque would be at 0 RPM!

Back when I was cool I had a bunch of M1 Abrams. Those have 1,500 hp and a couple thousand ft/lbs of torque from a turbine hooked up to a 4 speed auto trans (and 2 speed reverse).

With no rubber track pads it would spin the tracks from a stop if the driver did a little brake-standing on the launch.

It's fun to watch 140,000lbs burn out.

"O"