Sign in to follow this  

paul whibley crf450 setup?

does anybody know what setups paul whibley uses on his crf450?He is like the only guy I know of racing a crf450 in GNCC and placing really well. I have searched but can't find anything.I have a 2005 crf450 that I have raced 1.5 seasons in HScrmbles. It wears me out in rocky,tight single track races in PA dist 6. I have rekluse,fww,steering damper,fmf carbon and powerbomb,g2 throttle cam and revalve-the power is good but the thing won't turn and is too heavy.If anybody has sugestions-I'd like to hear them-otherwise I think I am gonna get a 250 2 stroke for the rough races.Ive searched the forum but no real answers

I had a simeler problem. I took the cam out and tryed it. Prob solved. I think the extra power was wearing on me in the tight stuff.:applause:

I think I'm gonna sell mine and go orange.......:applause:

LOL I did the same. But I still have one Honda. The KTM is fn heavy:thumbsup:

Paul Whibley is fast on anything! He rides some local harescrambles here in KY and nobody can come close to him. He also switches to a CRF250R sometimes on the really muddy tracks. He is a super nice guy and willing to talk to you at races. I am sure if you just ask him for advice on setup he will tell you.

The problem in the woods with the 450 R is the hard hitting motor, the problem with the 450 X is the weight. Take an R, revalve the suspension to be more plush, and find a cam that will smooth out the hit, maybe a flywheel weight. I race mx, but you can apply this rule to anything. Bike set up is give and take, you give power, you take traction. Same way with handaling, adding power takes away from your abilty to turn the bike correctly. What part of Ky are you from c bach?

I think all you really need is a flywheel wieght. The later model CRF's have a pretty light flywheel which allows the motor to light up and wear you out. What you dont want is a lighting type flywheel. If youre not running lights, it'll over drive your CDI and it'll give you fits.

I think all you really need is a flywheel wieght. The later model CRF's have a pretty light flywheel which allows the motor to light up and wear you out. What you dont want is a lighting type flywheel. If youre not running lights, it'll over drive your CDI and it'll give you fits.

My buddy had an 02 CRF 450, I think the first year ever? It hit harder, and more violent than a 2-stroke. It was almost like it didnt have a flywheel....

My 450 is an 02, and i ride woods. At times it is a lot to handle in the woods. I added a 13 oz. flywheel ,revalved the susension,this help alot,and put a more restricted muffler on ,and that also helped alot. Made it easyer to handle.