Sign in to follow this  

Broke my fork

Two studs are stuck in fork now, ebcause I torqued one too much and it ripped and I stripped two more like an idiot. So I got two out and one is broken in half, the other is too stripped to do anything with. I'm talking about the studs that are in the bottom right fork tube, the ones that hold the front axle. I don't think there is any way to get them out now, trust me I've tried, and I also don't think it is smart to ride with 2 1/2. Anyone be happening to sell an old stock, after a conversaion or something?

Two studs are stuck in fork now, ebcause I torqued one too much and it ripped and I stripped two more like an idiot. So I got two out and one is broken in half, the other is too stripped to do anything with. I'm talking about the studs that are in the bottom right fork tube, the ones that hold the front axle. I don't think there is any way to get them out now, trust me I've tried, and I also don't think it is smart to ride with 2 1/2. Anyone be happening to sell an old stock, after a conversaion or something?

Man that blows big time. Don't know what to tell you to do except maybe a machine shop. Good luck.

Use pliers or vise grips, they twist out. You can get them from your local Honda dealer. There's no need for a new fork.

Use pliers or vise grips, they twist out. You can get them from your local Honda dealer. There's no need for a new fork.

But it is a good excuse to get a set of CR forks.:applause:

You may want to try a left handed drill bit, you may get lucky and it will spin out. Although like Ride-2-Live says, it does make a good excuse for a fork conversion.

I think I misunderstood. You took two out, but the one that is broken is in too far to get with pliers? Drill it out and heli-coil it. Or bring it to a machine shop and they'll fix it up. If your good with tools, do it yourself. Becareful and don't wreck anything or else you'll need a new fork.

I weld a nut to the sheered off fastener, and just back it out with a wrench. The heat from the weld almost always breks things loose, and it comes out real easy...

I've tried vice grips. That's what stripped the two. I have two out, one is broken in half (about half an inch is showing) and is stripped to just a smooth little rod, the other is about the same, just not broken in half. Before that I tried to put two bolts on, screw the close one out to get it out, y'know? That didn't work at all.. I don't think I stand mucha chance for the 85 conversion, lol, my parents were pretty pissed. I'll probably stick another bolt to the end like duck said, or take it to a shop. And I got better bolts for when I do get that sh*t out. Thanks though

Ha, you say taht. But honestly I would like to see a number of you try and get these out.. haha

Take it to the muffler shop and tell the dude to weld a nut on the end of each stud, he can then just put a wrench( or better yet socket) on there and just screw them out while everything's hot. They both will come right out, and your threads will be still perfect. Muffler dudes repair messed up studs all the time, they are used to it. He probably won't even charge you anything, so tip him when you leave, you might need another favor later on...

how in the hell....

thats all i have to say

wouldnt u kinda take a hint after stripping 2 to stop and cut your losses???

anyways!, do as stated before or try to drill em out.

Ha, yeah. I figured it out. I got the first two out with a vice. FIgured I would do the same with the second two, they started to move, but then just froze up. SO now I'm ridin' with 3. Doesn't seem like a huge problem for a couple of days until I can just get my dad to weld a nut on the end and rip 'em off. He's just in Indy right now. Thanks anyway. And no 230 forks won't fit

I stripped the head of a bolt on my front brae master cylinder. I had to drill it out and re-tap. Drill bits remove metal even if the metal is a stud in a hole.

Use a smaller drill bit, tap it, screw something in it, jam not it and back it out. really this happens alot.

Yeah, just last time I messed with it without someone more knowledgeable than me there, I jacked up the bolts. So Imma wait 'til tomorrow when my daddy gets home to work on that kinda thing. And one more thing, whats that picture of there ebeck?

Ha, you say taht. But honestly I would like to see a number of you try and get these out.. haha

Two summers ago the same thing happened to me, but I got it out.

And one more thing, whats that picture of there ebeck?

Good times.

1080844img0ql.jpg

1080842img9fe.jpg

1080843img2qm.jpg