Sign in to follow this  

FCR vs MIKUNI

I guess a lot of people make the upgrade from the mikuni carb to the fcr carb .... Is there that much of a difference between the carbs??? one of the mechanics at the shop i frequent swore by it,,, how much difference if you jet the stock one versus bying the fcr carb and then jetting it ?? aside from cost obviously..and i saw another post that gave different jetting info for the s and the sm.... i thought they were the same except the suspension and rims? or is that beacuse of type of riding?

The FCR is far superior to the stocker and the jetting is the same for the S and SM..

its all about throtle response and getting the motor spining. the FCR has 3mm more and no butterfly in the way. there is so mch more...

the stock carb in the S and SM are jetted diferent because they have a different air jet.

I could noo believe the difference and neither could anyone who rode it jetted stock and with the FCR. It wouldhave been my first mod if I was smart

Is there that much of a difference between the carbs??? one of the mechanics at the shop i frequent swore by it,,, how much difference if you jet the stock one versus bying the fcr carb and then jetting it ??

Yes, there is THAT much of a difference.

CC

the only reason the mukuni carb comes stock is for emissions, certainly not for performance.

its a night and day difference.i bought a rs3 full ex then got the fcr and so it was even a bigger difference

My take on putting in the FCR is that its like doing two 3X3, rejet, and full exhaust mods to the stock Mikuni. Its a nice power mod. Worth it? I think so. Will it totally knock your socks off? No. You would get even more power if you added E or hot cams in addition. However with the FCR now you are ready to add a big bore and cams when the time comes for a new top end and in the meantime enjoy some more power.:applause:

The difference was in fact night or day.

BuT I am totally dissapointed in these claims of easy super power roll on wheelies. :applause:

SIT FURTHER BACK ON THE SEAT I weigh 220 lbs and can do a first gear wheelie with my stock Mikuni. Just have to get the weight off the front wheel.:applause:

BuT I am totally dissapointed in these claims of easy super power roll on wheelies. :lol:

BuT I am totally dissapointed in these claims of easy super power roll on wheelies. :applause:

lean back.

a stock drz will wheelie over backward.

I have to be careful on my SM with only a FCR. I sit all the way forward and have 16/41 gearing. First gear up to about 35 will easily power wheelie. Second gear does require me to clutch it, but that is at the 35 mark.

Performance-wise the FCR definetely is better. If you're mainly interested in fuel economy the Mikuni is better.

thanks folks, from what i am seeing it is a pretty big difference. does the fcr carb from a honda 400 ex fit ??? on the keihn web site it doesn't specifie make or moder only motor size...

LOL

I think I am just teh suck at wheelies. I already feel like I am sitting on the fender rack lol.

I am not very tall so it probably just feels like I am sitting farther back but am not really.

Its a nice power mod. Worth it? I think so. Will it totally knock your socks off? No.
Guess I wear my socks a lot looser than VB. Maybe you're used to sports bikes or have ridden some other big HP cycles. But DRZ-Mikuni to DRZ-FCR, it's a very dramatic difference. Mainly in the instantaneous response you get with the FCR compared to the Mikuni.

Will the stock pipe choke the performance of FCR enough that I would be as happy with a 3x3 and rejet on the stocker? Or will the improved throttle response make up for it?

I run a stock pipe on my SM with an FCR. It rips instead of putters.

The AP and no CV slide control are what it is all about. Not having don a kit to the BSR, I cannot id the imporvement that made over bone stock, but there is no way it is as good as the FCR.

As has been stated here so many times, the FCR is the biggest and best bang for the buck upgrade you can do. Big bore and or stroker comes next in value, then the pipe. Put it all together - Whoo Hoo!