Engine oil...

So I tried a search, with out any luck. Whats everyone running for engine oil? Is synthetic oil ok with the clutch? Thanks.

I've seen mixed opinions on this topic many times. I've heard synthetic without moly is ok, synthetic period is ok, yada yada. I know you're not supposed to run synthetic with moly additive in manual clutch bikes. Some of the engine guys I turn to for advice told me to stay away from synthetic period, so I do. I run Honda GN-4 10W 40 in both my bikes, and haven't had any issues at all with it. JMHO.

I'm gonna use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5/40w in mine. Frequent oil changes is almost more important than your oil brand. Oil is cheap / Blown motors is expensive...

Here's my approach to frequent oil changes. I bought a brand new 05 CRF 450R in late Nov, 2005. It has 40.5 Hrs on it,,, I've changed the oil 15 times. So I've changed it every 2.7 Hrs since new.... I'm hoping to get 150 Hrs before complete rebuild. I think it's doable.

For a hi-po motor like the 450 that sounds about right. With these little motors, as long as they are stock about every 20 to 25 hours is fine. My oil still looks good at this point, but it's just preventative maintenance.

Diesel oil is what i run, since 50's run so hot the oil doesnt break down as fast. Never had any problems, i change my oil after like 3 races or if im just cruising then after 5 filter changes.

amsoil full synthetic 5w 40, my buddy owns our local honda shop and thats what they suggest and run on their own, and we have yet to see someone blow a motor yet.

amsoil full synthetic 5w 40, my buddy owns our local honda shop and thats what they suggest and run on their own, and we have yet to see someone blow a motor yet.

I don't think there has ever been a blown motor because of the oil you use. Motors are blown from a lack of oil or oil breakdown from lack of changing. :lol:

But, Amsoil is really good oil. It's pricey, but good...:applause:

I'm gonna use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5/40w in mine. Frequent oil changes is almost more important than your oil brand. Oil is cheap / Blown motors is expensive...

Rotella 15w40 is what I run and I change it often. We-don't-need-no-dir-ty oil... all in all just another brick in the wall... LoL. If money wasn't an issue, I'd run amsoil all the way.

Speaking of which... you guys should treat your centrifugal filter to a cleaning at least once a year if not more often. Get yourself a clutch cover engine gasket and have at it. You'll be surprised to find all the gunk you'll see in there and you'll be glad you got it out!

^^^The 15-40 is good also. I run it in my 450 tranny all the time. I use the 5-40 in the motor side November-April & 15-40 May-October. I like the Pink Floyd reference!! LOL:applause:

I use Maxxima 10w40 it's a little pricey but works great.

motul e-tech for me..

another vote for rotella 15-40

Glad to hear synthetic is ok to use. I was just worried about the clutch. I like to run synthetic in everything.