Ok guys I need some help, should I keep my DRZ or sell it?

Here is my dilema. I have a 06 DRZ-400 SM. I like riding it and find it very fun but I was seriously depressed with the power when I got it. Even now a year later with the 3X3 mod a yosh RS3 ful system and a rejet I'm still hating the power.

My dilema is that I'm in need of a great dual sport bike for 20-40 percent street riding and the rest trails. I've been considering getting a Husky TE450 but am seriously leary of this import as far as maintenance and upkeep. I know that my trusty DRZ is about as reliable as they come and have been considering this alternative. Taking my DRZ trying to find some dirt rims and getting some tires then doing the FCR mod, e-gasket, and maybe e-cams or hotcams. I would asume that would get me in the low 40's for HP and I think that might make me happy but I'm still not sure though. I know it would still be street friendly, at least more street friendly than the Husky. But I'm unsure, It sounds like a ton of work but yet the TT forum has some of the best support for the DRZ and I'm pretty sure problems wouldn't be hard to work out. I'm not really sure what all this would add up to cost But if i do not do this mod to the DRZ I'm selling it for sure.

Regardless, I'd appreciate any input on what you guys think. Personally I really like riding my other bike on the trails, it's a WR250 but I was looking for something with some more grunt and be street legal.

Thanks again for any input.

I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. I had been riding for about two months on my SM, and I was pretty dissapointed with the power. (My two previous bikes being a crf250 and a crf450) The problem was that I loved everything else about the bike and I already had a lot of money into other items. (See garage) I finally opted to get a big bore kit, hotcams, and a FCR carb. I know this seems like a lot of money ($1400), but it came out to a lot less money and hastle than selling the DRZ and buying another bike.

One month later, I am absolutely loving this thing. I drag raced my buddies Husaberg 550 yesterday and held him side by side through the middle of 4th gear. The power is great and the motor seems to be much happier at high rpms. I tried traded bikes with the 550 for about 5mi of dirt and 10mi of road. The lighter weight was a bit nicer in the dirt and the motor had a bit more bottom end grunt, but once we got back on the road the story really changed. The bike is horribly unstable at high speed and the seat was just like the typical motocross bike. Good for trails, horrible for comfort.

All in all, I am now very satisfied with the bike. Its not the greatest at any specific thing, but for all around ability its great! I hope my input helps and good luck!

What a dilemma.

Start with this, do you know anyone who has the bike you want? Either the Husky or a modded DRZ?

If you did, you could ride theirs and see how you like it. Many who own DRZ's will chime in here and tell you how great they are but without your own butt dyno you will never know how it actually feels on the trails.

You have the right first step with the 3x3 and pipe, was that as much of a jump in throttle response as you expected? Is it jetted correctly and squeezing out all the hP it should be?

THe next step would be the FCR, not a huge HP gain but a little and better throttle still. $550 to see if you like it is kinda steep.

If you are really a gear head the cams are the next increment, about the same price.

If you're not adding a big bore, the e gasket is a lot of work for small incremental gain and lose ability to run (cheap) pump gas, kind of a bummer on a Dual Sport. Yes, most of us run better gas anyway so not a big deal.

The Dirt wheels are a must if you are riding anything other than hardpack on your SM. D606's, Scorpion Pro's or TM II's are a must. Can be had for $$$6-800. TT classifieds are a good place to start.

In the long run, you need to decide how much $$ it will take to get your Z to your desired goal. It will still be bullet proof, heavy and street legal but will it be more fun than putting a plate on your WR (if you can) and less money than selling and buying the Husky.

I bought the S because I wanted to ride street out of the BOX, saved a grand and now have SM wheels too. I have done no perf mods b/c I ride 99.99% street so far but I have jets and good dirt tires in the garage waiting. I really liked the Z's setup and street gear so I went for it.

My advice, ride one that is set up how you want, and if you like it, start slowly. Wheels, FCR, then cams. It will be way less than a new or used Husky and you are already familiar with the Z.

If you ride the Husky at a Stealership and fall in love, there are plenty of guys who would give you decent money for your Z, dont even think of trading it in.

I would hate to see you leave the Z for a Husky b/c it is sooooo moddable and bulletproof. you just gotta decide if it is worth it time and money wise.

IMHO, don't listen to lumpy!:applause: If you like doing maintenance, get the KTM. DRZ is one of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned and with 41000 kms on my DRZ and with the ability to start at -29C, it is hard to beat. This is my third one. My freind with the KTM has trouble starting at +15C. I have never been a big fan of Suzuki until I got my DRZ. For me, there is not a bike out there that can do all of the things a DRZ can do, and it does it all fairly well. I have done 7000km trips to the coast, wide open the whole way, done plenty of single track(with KTM 450's, XR 440, etc), have logged 250km days offroad, and have did day trips on-road of up to 1150 kms wide open tankful after tankful at 140km/h+. I drive my DRZ all winter and have never been stranded,leaving it in the parking lot in cold Canadian winters. The extra weight for me is almost needed when the bike is on the highwayas I have been blown around the road with wind gusts, couldn't imagine an even lighter bike. The KTM is more of a single purpose dirtbike, the DRZ a do all dirtbike. Depends what you want.? vanram

yea! what vanram said.

"there is not a bike out there that can do all of the things a DRZ can do, and it does it all fairly well."

i would love to have a new ktm450 but at $8k:eek: ... and, i wouldn't like it as much as my drz on the highway. :applause:

I sit back every once in awhile about selling my DRZ450 (Yoshi stoker kit) and getting something maybe a little bit lighter (I don't worry about horsepower with the 450 kit), but then I just come back to the stone cold reliabilty and fun factor of my good ol DRZ. I am on my third 'zuki and I have never been let down by any of them. Even with the 450 kit, the bike fires every time, walks all over every bike that any of my friends ride (well one guy just got a KX500, so we will see how she does agianst the big two smoker) and still leaves me with no payment or otherwise. As soon as I can get a damned plate for the thing (California may have nice weather, but boy do we have some dumb laws) I will have a go anywhere, do just about anything bike.

I say keep the DRZ, do the mods to get you in the dirt first (including the weight watchers plan, strip all the junk off), then work on getting that thing some more horses. You won't regret it.

Thanks for all the input guys. It's definitely a toss up for me. I want to put the money into it, I'm just not sure. But definitely keep the opinions coming.

If say I wanted to get a big bore kit, e base gasket, FCR conversion and hotcams all done professionally. Do you guys know of any reputable places near Chicago and does anyone have any idea how much that might cost?

It's a dual sport bike. Sorry to waste your reading time.

Dale

Not really. The Tiger is a street bike. Moreso now than the previous generation. And it's heavier.

The Husky and KTM require much more maintenance and it isn't really a problem if you can do it yourself but it sounds like you can't so it will cost you a lot. Even then, it won't be good on the highways. I can do valve checks in 20 mins on my TC450 and I've already replaced the valves. The big bore kits are straight bolt on from what I've seen and heard. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if you get a service manual and have a good set of tools, you should be able to do it fairly easily over a weekend.

I just got my DRZ a month ago and I just took it for a real ride (100 miles) this past weekend. I don't think it's a very good highway bike but it can do it if I needed it to. I bought it mainly for the plate and will be doing enduros with it. It's the first bike I've owned where I'm desperately seeking for more power. I did the 3x3, DJ and Yosh RS2 full exhaust before I even rode it. I left the potato in because I really don't want that loud of a bike but will probably take it out just to try it. I will also most likely be doing the big bore kit.

As everyone said, it's not great at any one thing but its good at everything.

Dale, you would never take that bike where we ride on the weekends. You would need a four wheel drive with a winch just to rescue that beast. That's not even close, probably be faster on the street though.:applause: vanram

Not really. The Tiger is a street bike. Moreso now than the previous generation. And it's heavier.

The Husky and KTM require much more maintenance and it isn't really a problem if you can do it yourself but it sounds like you can't so it will cost you a lot. Even then, it won't be good on the highways. I can do valve checks in 20 mins on my TC450 and I've already replaced the valves. The big bore kits are straight bolt on from what I've seen and heard. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if you get a service manual and have a good set of tools, you should be able to do it fairly easily over a weekend.

I just got my DRZ a month ago and I just took it for a real ride (100 miles) this past weekend. I don't think it's a very good highway bike but it can do it if I needed it to. I bought it mainly for the plate and will be doing enduros with it. It's the first bike I've owned where I'm desperately seeking for more power. I did the 3x3, DJ and Yosh RS2 full exhaust before I even rode it. I left the potato in because I really don't want that loud of a bike but will probably take it out just to try it. I will also most likely be doing the big bore kit.

As everyone said, it's not great at any one thing but its good at everything.

I can't do my own maintenance? Right...... Your pretty smart there dude.

I was trying to help the original poster. He was whining and I felt sorry for him. Instead all I got was insults. I see how the crowd really is here on this site.

Didn't take long for your colors to show.:applause:

Dale McClure

Daytona1.jpg

Pilotpowers.jpg

trip2.jpg

Trophy1.jpg

TigerIII.jpg

pipes2.jpg

cooler3.jpg

It's a dual sport bike. Sorry to waste your reading time.

Dale

How does that work then, it has 17 inch wheels each end, and a lack of ground clearance.?

Not to mention every magazine test has pointed out that the Tiger is no longer dirt worthy.

I suggest you ride one, and compare it back to back with the old Tiger, I have and there is no comparison.

The Tiger is now just a semi touring version of the Speed Triple.

As for selling the DRZ, well if you think it is seriously lacking in power, you will probably not be happy with a modded DRZ either.

You need to ride a DRZ with all the mods before making your mind up.

It is not cheap to do all the mods, and to do them and then not be 100% happy is a waste of time and money.

Neil. :applause:?:eek:

I can't do my own maintenance? Right...... Your pretty smart there dude.

I was trying to help the original poster. He was whining and I felt sorry for him. Instead all I got was insults. I see how the crowd really is here on this site.

Didn't take long for your colors to show.:applause:

Dale McClure

Actually, only the first sentence was directed at you. The rest was for the guy that started the thread. He mentioned that he'd need a shop to install a big bore kit.

Don't be so defensive. We're all here to help each other, right?

Besides, we all know you have to be a mechanic or have really deep pockets to ride Triumphs ? :eek: