Sign in to follow this  

How do you get these damn things to turn????

I have an 05 crf450. i just bought it about a month and a half ago. im coming off a kx125 that i could make turn whenever i wanted. the problem im having with the 450 is on tight turns on the inside it seems like the wheel doesnt want to turn it just wants to push or hook. i moved the forks up that seemed to help im short only 5'5" tall and it seems like i cant get enough weight on the front end. does anybody have any suggestions setup wise. i believe it has the 756 tire on it. the terrain i was on was indoors and kind of loomy. i could use some input. i have been told i corner real well on my 125 and i am just wondering can you do it with a 450 or should i just plan on changin my cornering style. thanks for the input. my front springs are one step to light according to racetechs website. i have the correct springs coming and i believe the rear is correct. i have the sag set correctly.

just ride it some more. you will get used to it after a while. you probably wont be able to whip it around like the 125. actually you wont be able to whip it around the same. but after a while you will get used to it and be flying around the track in no time.

you do have the sag set right?

Once you adjust the sag (if you havnt already), start dropping the tripple clamp down on the fork a mm or two at a time. It'll start turning really quick.

Once you adjust the sag (if you havnt already), start dropping the tripple clamp down on the fork a mm or two at a time. It'll start turning really quick.

I know that on my 250F I can really feel a huge change by adjusting the fork tube height. I went to 22mm offsets but when I really started experimenting with heights I was pretty impressed by how you can change how it feels.:applause:

i posted i believe i have the correct rear spring. why is there always that guy that has to rip on one thing you say. and not give you constructive help.

i already have the sag set correctly, and ive moved the forks up on the clamps already. they are past the line that is a little bit down the fork. that is about an 1/8 " or so above the clamps.

Bigger bikes with more power take more effort to corner. If it was simple to ride a 450, everybody would do it. Welcome to big boy MX.

Bigger bikes with more power take more effort to corner. If it was simple to ride a 450, everybody would do it. Welcome to big boy MX.

Exactly!! Bro, that thing is NEVER gonna FEEL or CORNER like a 125, set up is important with all bikes so make sure your sag& springs are where they need to be. Good luck, you'll get used to it.....:applause:

we did it in inches and i had my buddy help me with it. He is the one familiar with sag settings. and i cant remember exactly what it is we did it in early dec. but i can find out for sure.

what will the symptoms be if i move the forks to high in the triple clamp. am i expecting to much in a softer loomy corner. i believe with the rear shock spring racetech says im inbetween 2 springs is it better to be stiffer or softer. what are the pros and cons.

If the forks are too high in the clamps you will be twitchy at high speeds but you will turn sharper. You have to find that happy medium. Make sure you adjust to get 100mm of sag and around 25-35mm of free sag.

The CRF450 wants a lot of sag and handle much better with it. Run at least 103-106mm of race sag. Anything less and they will not run right.

What do you weigh at 5'5"? At this height the stock springs have to be to stiff...

Little more info please! Front and rear clicker settings?:applause:

theDogger

185lbs. when i bought it it had stock 250f springs in it. i will have to look at my paperwork to see what all my clickers are set at. dont have that info in front of me.

i have .46 on the way i got them cheap off ebay. something to try if i need them. i believe it has .45 in it but not for sure im going off racetechs site which is kind of missleading if you look at what stock is for an 05 450r on one page it says .47 is stock and then when you put your weight in it says stock is .45 and tells you what you need. unless im reading it wrong.

I found that 102-103 mm sag and the forks 3-4mm up in the clamps made a big difference with a 742 front. Not as good with a 756 but that could have been the fact that the track started to get hard. I remember it took awhile to get used to the way a 4 stroke turned compared to a 2 stroke, but you will get used to it. Get on the gas, they like to be steered with the back wheel.

@ 185 both your springs are too light and your bike is out of balance....I'd suggest getting with a local suspension guy and getting the bike dialed....Then, if it still won't turn like you want, check into 20mm offset triple clamps !

honestly,

if you just came of a 125 it will take about ten long rides before you get used to it if you have been running two strokes all your life. I was so close to giving up and selling mine when I first got it, but once you body gets used to the engine braking and the weight, it actually makes you faster. a lot faster - and smoother. I had my suspension re springed and revalved for my weight by race tech and it literally makes obstacles on the track seem smaller - like when you work out a lot for a few months - you don't notice yourself get bigger - everyone else just gets smaller!...hope this helps.

chris

If your still running the stock front tire, get rid of it. It's a piece of $hit. That will solve a lot of your cornering problems. I'm running a 952F and am a lot happier with it. The difference is night and day.