cam chain slipped off bottom gear

You don't have to remove the cylinder, but you may have to remove the left cover where the flywheel is if you can't get it on.

Usually when it comes off, the tab that keeps it from coming off is bent.

Did you turn the motor over and jam it up, or did it just fall off?

You should be able to finese it back on w/o removing anything unless it jammed up on you.

My son did that this weekend while helping me reassemble his bike. Just a bit of patience and dexterity and you can get it back on the lower sprocket without removing the cylinder or left side cover (which could ruin a good gasket). If you marked the chain with a TDC mark that's a goner, of course. Still, not a big deal. Easy bike to work on.

Theres a little thingamabob on the bottom of the crank gear that keeps the chain from coming off.virtually impossible for the chain to slip off.something don't seem right here.

It can slip off the crank gear and basically spin right in back of the flywheel. The tab basically keeps you in the game. I think this is why people sometimes mess up the timing though because they don't keep the chain taught and it bunches up a bit or slides half way off when laying the chain over after taking out the cam.

Theres a little thingamabob on the bottom of the crank gear that keeps the chain from coming off.virtually impossible for the chain to slip off.something don't seem right here.
That's what I thought! After I had to rebuild my motor and in the process took the flywheel off, I saw the problem that some have had. The metal stop leaves just enough gap in the right circumstances to allow the chain to slip off. It is a bear to put back on without removing the flywheel, but it can be done by using a long screwdriver and pulling up as you push inboard with the screwdriver. You have to have it aligned perfect, so it may take a few tries. Make double shure it is back on with a good flashlight, or you will be sorry.

beautiful! you learn something every day.I tried and tried one day to get the chain off because I lost my sharpie marks when I lost TDC cause the crank moved I could not get the chain to come off thank god!Being the newb that I am I sat down for awhile and had a beer cuz I was frustraded and got to thinking that the damn sharpie mark aint got squat to do with jack.So I put the crank to TDC again got the chain on the cam so the cam gear marks lined up with the head and prayed and got the timming right..

I also been thinking if you wire the chain to the cam gear so you don't lose

the timing,would that give you enough room to get to the shims?

beautiful! you learn something every day.I tried and tried one day to get the chain off because I lost my sharpie marks when I lost TDC cause the crank moved I could not get the chain to come off thank god!Being the newb that I am I sat down for awhile and had a beer cuz I was frustraded and got to thinking that the damn sharpie mark aint got squat to do with jack.So I put the crank to TDC again got the chain on the cam so the cam gear marks lined up with the head and prayed and got the timming right..

I also been thinking if you wire the chain to the cam gear so you don't lose

the timing,would that give you enough room to get to the shims?

I wire the chain to the upper part of the frame. You still need to remove the wire when installing the cam, but it will prevent many ooppppes. I usually have one of my sons pull up and simultaneously spread the cam chain while I put on the cam. Makes childs play of aligning the cam. Double check the timing marks through the lower cap opening, and verify the cam marks are aligned and tighten away. I use a magnet on the cam buckets to keep the shims from falling down.

I wire the chain to the upper part of the frame. You still need to remove the wire when installing the cam, but it will prevent many ooppppes. I usually have one of my sons pull up and simultaneously spread the cam chain while I put on the cam. Makes childs play of aligning the cam. Double check the timing marks through the lower cap opening, and verify the cam marks are aligned and tighten away. I use a magnet on the cam buckets to keep the shims from falling down.

+1

I recently did my top end and it went smooth using the wire to frame method.

I also cannot stress enough the importance of a Honda shop Manual.

The best advice I have ever got from thumpertalk forums was to Purchase a Shop Manual.. I think I paid $16 for it Used on Ebay... :applause: