droped shim into cylinder

I dropped a valve shim into the spark plug hole. Magnetic wand didn't work. Any sugestions? Is there a fiberoptic scope that can be used to take a look without removing the head? What tools will I need to remove the head?

With the valves closed it can't go anywhere stick the telescoping magnet in spark plug hole, now use air hose small tip to blow into cyl with mag down inside keep checking magnet if strong enough it will eventually pick it up. Later George

K I just made that mistake on a TRX450R I was working on. The shim WILL fit down the hole, unfortunately. And, the bore is too big to allow the magnet to reach the cylinder wall. You can always pull the head, but I solved it as follows:

Take your antennae-style magnet and cut it off 1" above the magnet. Use a springloaded punch to dimple the shaft above the magnet, and drill a hole through with a very small drill bit, just larger than your safety wire. Next, attach your safety wire, about a foot should do. I also attached the other end to my remaining shaft, but that's not really necessary.

You are now ready to go shim-fishing! Stick your magnet down the hole and twirl it around. By bending the wire around, you are able to search all areas of the cylinder regardless of how large the bore is.

I had struggled for 10-15 minutes before thinking of this. I caught my shim on the FIRST CAST with this technique! Hope you have similar success.:applause:

Moto

PS just a thought if you can't "catch" it this way, it's probably not in there. You know, there is a pocket in the head by the right intake valve that pools oil AND swallows dropped shims....they sink in the oil and are very hard to spot.......check there:)

So I tried the fishing for the shim as described with no luck. Shook the bike, tiped it from side to side, and blew air in the cylinder. I never heard any rattels so I convinced myself it wasn't in there. I rechecked the head, took the left crank case cover off and checked in there, even though I had a rag covering the timing chain, and still no shim. I checked the floor of my work area and all the crevices on the bike and still no shim. So I finished the valve adjustment and tried to start the bike, I know stupid. It wouldn't start but I did here a rattle and stoped turning it over. When i stoped I heard the shim go "plink" as it fell somewhere inside. I thought maybe it got blown out of the exhaust valves so I pulled the headers but no shim. I tried fishing for it again and still no shim.

That's where I am, I was considering draining the oil again and checking behind both crank case covers and in the oil drain plug and filter holes. There was no terrible sounds so I'm hopfull no real damage has been done. Any advice on where to look and what should be checked after I find it would be very helpful. I just got my hands on the workshop manual and am determined to get her going again.