Sign in to follow this  

bought a 500!

alright guys i finally bought a 2004 kx500, after i brought it home i noticed that the top pipe mount was broken. can this be re welded? what else should i look out for with the bike, ive heard of the radiators having to be silaconed or something like that. i have lots of questions about the bike so ill be posting more. if you guys can think of anything else please let me know. also what should the top end compresion be?

yes definately reweld it those things vibrate like crazy

Very common. I made one out of 1/8" x 1" flat stock . So far so good. If you fix the stock mount . It will happen again.

Iam so excited to get this beast into the dez and open it up! what color lock tite should i use with the motor mounts? also i took it to a friends house and started it up for him, he said it sounded " pissed" :applause:

I also i took it to a friends house and started it up for him, he said it sounded " pissed" :lol:

LOL :applause:

Iam so excited to get this beast into the dez and open it up! what color lock tite should i use with the motor mounts? also i took it to a friends house and started it up for him, he said it sounded " pissed" :applause:

With something that vibrates as much as a 500, I wouldn't trust anything but red Loctite. I use it on my 250 everywhere.

I'd probably opt for blue loctite. Red is pretty stiff stuff. It may make it harder for maintenance. But red or blue, the important thing is loctite. I'd safety wire the trans oil drain plug. It may already be drilled.

Red loctite on anything that you want to stay in place. I pulled the rotors off my 250 last night and they were red loctited from the factory.

alright guys i finally bought a 2004 kx500, after i brought it home i noticed that the top pipe mount was broken. can this be re welded? what else should i look out for with the bike, ive heard of the radiators having to be silaconed or something like that. i have lots of questions about the bike so ill be posting more. if you guys can think of anything else please let me know. also what should the top end compresion be?

Broken upper pipe mounts are a VERY common issue on all KX5's. Mine has been broken ever since I owned the bike. IMO the pipe is well supported, and doesnt need the 3rd bracket. My bike however might vibrate a tad more than one with all 3 mounts. Lastly keep a CLOSE eye on the rear spokes. A KX500 will pound the pi$$ out of slightly loose spokes, and then the rear hub will be trashed, BIG $$$$$ to correctly fix a granaded hub! enjoy!

The upper pipe mount breaking is a normal deal. A good piece of flat stock will work -- don't try welding a washer on it as it'll just break again.

The only screws I have a problem with vibrating loose are the screws that hold the ignition box on and the two screws at the front of the gas tank.

After you get used to riding the bike, she'll feel like a gentle giant. Not so scary fast and it won't seem like it vibrates much. Great bike, just about bullet proof. Mines an 04 too.

cool thanks for the input. a piece of flat stock welded to the frame should do the trick?