too good with a wrench :applause: ...after reading Heckler's

post on checking the valves it does seem like

something I could do but the shimming might be a bit

much for me (unless I had someone to help me the first

time) and a complete top end would really be out of my

league. Seems like there are some wide variations on

reported valves issues, being that I won't be riding

all that hard (I'm pretty new to the dirt, had some

bikes when I was a kid but nothing as nice as this)

can I expect to make it a few seasons without having

to do the valves?

Also, the guy said he's not sure if he has (or can

locate) the owner's manual, is there one available for

download? I did some searching and found a post but

the links were not working.

I'll also want to get a service manual, is the Honda

one available in PDF or only print? (the links I found

from searching looked like to the printed version).

Thanks! ...and looking forward to joining the CRF

brotherhood :lol:

HI! welcome to TT.best info and freinds you can have.

Sounds like you have a fair deal there.Don't be afraid of the horror stories

as there are just as many good ones too.I rode my 06 every weekend and got a whole year out of the valve train.This aint great but still good.1800 miles and i would have to guess on the hours but it was alot.If you can't find an owners manual you can buy one from Honda but the shop manual is just as good(better).Don't be afraid of checking your valves or even shimming them.It's like any thing else.A little intimidating at first but gets easier every time.If your like me it will just knaw at you untill one day you grab your manual and through open the tool box and go for it. As far as shimming goes,once you do your first shim start saving for a new valve train as it's on it's way out.Shimming is not a cure all and shouldn't have to be done alot. If so your valves are shot and your asking for big trouble.

As far as that new bike goes I think you can get an 06 for 5000.00 so make sure his price is right 4000.00? if the tires still have the little rubber stubs on them and the air box is nice and clean filter too,check the color of the oil look for leaky fork seals see how easy it starts you should be good.

TWS

• Like 1

I agree with every thing TWS says. I have the 04/05 250X manual in a pdf file if you end up wanting it - PM me if you want it. For what you say, the 250X is a great choice and if you can validate the bike's age, it will give you at least a season or two before you have to do any major wrenching. I rode my X a lot for the first two years and I'm pretty mechanical, and followed Heckler's and many other people's posts from this fourm and do the majority of work myself. I did get a little help installing my new top end from my local expert mechanic who also does my suspension work btw. Beat the guy down to less than $4k, and you've got a good deal for a great bike :applause:

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Looks like I might not be able to make it down to get the bike until next weekend now :applause: .....hope the guy still has the bike by then, not many used CRF250X bikes to choose from up around here (Chicago).

the fuel in the carb is probably all gummed up, have fun.

I love my 05 and have done nothing but simple routine maintenance (oil cahnges, air filter, chain, spokes, etc) and fixing a few broken things from crashes.

Don;t let all the horror stories scare you, some of us have lots of hours on our bikes with NO valve issues. It really depends on how you ride is and how you take care of it.

the fuel in the carb is probably all gummed up, have fun.

How would I be able to detect "gummed up" fuel in the carb? If the bike starts up easliy and seems to run fine, am I in the clear on this?

The bike won't idle properly or it will have a severe bog when you give it throttle. Also if you remove the gas cap and it smells like varnish. It will work to your advantage if it has this "problem" because the bike will seem like its in bad shape but very easy to fix. Also verify the condition of the battery.

yes, the gas will smell funny, and be a yellow/orange color. Fuel that has Ethanol added to it to boost octane does not last long. The Alcohol/Ethanol evaporates and leaves a gummy mess behind. DRAIN IT !!!!

Once you get the bike you will probably re-jet it and open the air box, so you can clean out the carb when you re-jet

Finally got the deal all worked out....heading down tomorrow to pick up the bike :applause:

...problem is the guy doesn't have the owner's manual. I'd like to be able to check everything over and learn a little more about the bike and basic maint., etc. ......can anyone hook me up with an electronic copy of the owner's manual?

Thanks!

Got the bike today!!! :applause: ...man this thing feels nimble compared to the DRZ400S I had!

...the bike was as advertised "new"...not a speck of dirt anywhere, tires brand new, etc.

...but the guy could not find the owner's manual, so I'm not sure about some things, is there not a downloaded version somewhere?...worried to ride it too much until I know what I need to check and how to check it (do I need to let the bike warm up and sit for certain period before checking oil?...what is this lever for?, etc.)

When I bought my bike from the dealership they did not have the manual ready for me right away...

Warm the bike up for 3 minutes before checking the oil.. The engine oil is on the left, tranny oil is on the right.. no dip stick for the tranny oil though...

I would change your oil after your first ride...

after your first 15 hours check your valves if it is brand new...

Other then that I would go out and break the top end in properly if it has not been rode yet.. other then that enjoy it and don't worry things will break soon and you will learn as you go.. that is how it went for me at least! So hunt through ebay for a good service manual.. priceless if you ask me! :eek:

oh yeah you will probably have to adjust your chain after the first couple rides.. I am sure you already know how to do that

Have fun! :applause:

[As far as shimming goes,once you do your first shim start saving for a new valve train as it's on it's way out.Shimming is not a cure all and shouldn't have to be done alot. If so your valves are shot and your asking for big trouble.]

I'm another potential new owner of an '05...

So what does a "new valve train" involve in terms of parts and (dealer) labor? Is this something commonly done for these bikes?

Second newbie question -

I've read about the frequent oil changes - If, like the originator of this thread, I intend to mainly plonk around every other weekend with the kids, and not do any real blasting (maybe an occasional burst), how often does the oil need to be changed really? Every 2nd time out (total 8 hours moderate riding) seems excessive. Is it??

Thanks

I joined this forum like 7 months ago.. and my eyes bleed every night from reading through so much info.. it is out there on these very topics, so try the search!

Good lucK!

thanks for all the info guys! :eek:

I picked up a service manual at a local Honda shop today and went ahead and ordered a shim kit so when time comes and I have the bike torn apart checking the valves I'll be ready (well at least I'll have the shims...not sure if I'll be ready to try to do the work :applause: )

...need to order an additional air filter and looks like I'll need a new clutch lever (mine is curled out pretty bad, bike must have fallen over or something..don't think hand guards would fit with it the way it is).