Sign in to follow this  

Yz250f????HELP!!!!

hey, i want to get a 07 yz250f but im not sure because i heard that the 2 smokes have lots problems and you gotta baby them but i dont know if the 4 stroke motocross bikes are a pain in tha a@# too? Heard of or had any problems with them? what is regular maintenance with thesse 4 stroke motocross bikes?

The 4 strokes are nothing similar to the 250 2-stroke bikes. As far as reliability goes, Yamaha has a very proven track record of great reliability. As far as maitenance goes, yeah you have to check and clearance the valves every so often but that is cake. Other than that, its just oil changes.

hey, i want to get a 07 yz250f but im not sure because i heard that the 2 smokes have lots problems and you gotta baby them but i dont know if the 4 stroke motocross bikes are a pain in tha a@# too? Heard of or had any problems with them? what is regular maintenance with thesse 4 stroke motocross bikes?

Regular maintenance is changing the oil about every 5 hours of riding, clean/replace the oil filter about every 3 oil changes and check the valve clearance every 20 hours of riding or so.

The 4 strokes are nothing similar to the 250 2-stroke bikes. As far as reliability goes, Yamaha has a very proven track record of great reliability. As far as maitenance goes, yeah you have to check and clearance the valves every so often but that is cake. Other than that, its just oil changes.

what is clearance the vavles?

Regular maintenance is changing the oil about every 5 hours of riding, clean/replace the oil filter about every 3 oil changes and check the valve clearance every 20 hours of riding or so.

what is a valve clearance???:applause:

Well, when the valves open, they open a certain distance, to keep from hitting the piston, or restricting air flow (i.e. power). Inside the lifters, which transmit the cam lobe to the valve to make it open, there are little shims or varying sizes, to keep the valve in spec. Doing valve clearance pretty much measures the amount the valve is opening, and putting the correct shim to keep it in spec, as when an engine wears, things wear out to slightly out of spec. it sounds like a big job, but the factory owner's manual that will come with the bike will tell you everything you need to know about doing the valves.

Dirtrider04, The Yamaha 4-strokes are very reliable. Youa don't have to do much maintenance on the two-strokes though, they're a lot simpler to work with.

Dirtrider04, The Yamaha 4-strokes are very reliable. Youa don't have to do much maintenance on the two-strokes though, they're a lot simpler to work with.

Oh i thought they were a pain in the butt to work with :applause:

But for a 2-stroke, you have to mix oil and gas, everytime, and that gets expensive. Oil changes are easy, and valve clearances are pretty easy too. Thats all there really is to worry about with a 4-stroke.

But for a 2-stroke, you have to mix oil and gas, everytime, and that gets expensive.

No more expensive then changing the oil in a 4-stroke every ride.

Trust me, I know, I own both a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke.

2 stroke you do a rebuild twice as much as a 4 stroke, so that equals out in price. Shimming requires 20 min out of your busy day sliding a feeler gauge under your cam lobe.

I have owned both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Maintenance wise over a year both bikes cost about as much, but the 4 stroke costs an arm and a leg when it does need maintainance, instead of splitting up the cost up over the year like the 4 stroke. So you just need to save your money for when you need to fix the bike. Now aftermarket parts are another story, 4-stroke motocross stuff is VERY expensive, , 4-stroke street bike parts are way cheeper.

No more expensive then changing the oil in a 4-stroke every ride.

Trust me, I know, I own both a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke.

Every ride oil changes on a 4t are a little excessive. I usually go ever 2-3 rides depending on legnth of rides. Yamaha recommends every 10hrs.

:applause:

Every ride oil changes on a 4t are a little excessive. I usually go ever 2-3 rides depending on legnth of rides. Yamaha recommends every 10hrs.

Crazynova, thanks for the info.

nice bike you got in your garage:applause:

4-stroke street bike parts are way cheeper.

haha, you must not ride a streetbike.

Well from what I have seem, such as a fmf exhaust and stuff like that. Im going to assume other parts like rims/tires, brakes and all that fun stuff is through the roof because they are so high performance/unique.

change oil i can stress it enuff my frield just had to put $800 into his bike bec he did change his oil. his piston rings were fried and the top of his piston was burnt up and his valves were shot

But for a 2-stroke, you have to mix oil and gas, everytime, and that gets expensive. Oil changes are easy, and valve clearances are pretty easy too. Thats all there really is to worry about with a 4-stroke.

i have a yz 125 and the only problem is like you said the gas is expensive 10 dollors a gallon for my stuff then just the right amount of oil and gas its a :applause:

i had 2 strokes all my life.I recently purchased a 07 250f I will never go back to a 2 stroke.With all the pros and cons of both types the 250f is the best race bike I have owned. Maintence is part of racing racing is part of life.