Sign in to follow this  

Off-Road Poker Run

This one is organized by the Off-Road Riders Association (ORA) www.offroadriders.org (click on the "Meetings & Events" link):lol:

See a map of last year's route: (WARNING: Large file! 3.6MB):eek:

Where: Piedmont, South Dakota (Black Hills) Covered Wagon Resort & Campground

When: May 20th, 2007

What: About 45 miles of family-friendly trail and riders of all skill levels. :lol:

Membership to ORA is not required but encouraged :applause:

If you come:

Follow the Off-Road Riders Rules of the Trail

PLEASE HELP US KEEP THE BLACK HILLS OPEN AND SAFE FOR ALL USERS :worthy:

• Please make safety, trail-courtesy and conservation your first priorities!
  • Tread Smartly on public and private land. Do NOT ride in wetland areas.
  • Wear a helmet, eye protection and other appropriate safety gear.
  • Ride slow & quiet when near residential areas.
  • When you see hikers, bicyclists or horseback riders, shut off your engine, remove your helmet & offer a friendly “hello” as they pass by.
  • Ride only on existing trails. Creating new trails is against the law.
  • In case of an emergency, please volunteer your assistance.
  • Use an approved spark arrester when riding on public land.
  • Park considerately, taking no more space than needed. Don’t block other vehicles or access to trails.
  • Keep to the right when meeting another trail user.
  • Use caution when approaching or overtaking another trail user.
  • When stopping, pull to the side and do not block the trail.
  • Do not disturb wildlife and avoid areas posted for wildlife protection.
  • Never litter and always pack out everything you pack in.
  • Remember, people judge all trail users by your actions.

How:

Check the ORA website for updates--many of us will ride the day before & spend the night at the campground. Come ride with us--it's a great way to be introduced to the Black Hills trails and meet some great people! :naughty::lol:

~Bone

Bone, who are you?? I'm Tom the treasurer...(I just spent 3 minutes of my life, that I'll NEVER get back trying to spell that durned word!!)

I took the Saturday off before the ride, so I could maybe help out with the course layout. That's the ride where my Girlfriend broke her leg last year..I shoulda NEVER let her ride that one...oh well, she's almost all better now.

See you out there!!

I'll be out there with a small group just a few days after your ride!! The Black Hills are a great place to ride.

One question, Do you need a plate to ride, or can you do your route with a dirt bike?

You don't need a plate, or a sticker, (yet), but you do need a spark arrestor.

Hope this helps.

Bone, who are you?? I'm Tom the treasurer...(I just spent 3 minutes of my life, that I'll NEVER get back trying to spell that durned word!!)

I took the Saturday off before the ride, so I could maybe help out with the course layout. That's the ride where my Girlfriend broke her leg last year..I shoulda NEVER let her ride that one...oh well, she's almost all better now.

See you out there!!

Hey, Tom--it's Troy. I plan on riding/marking the trail on Saturday before the ride, too--Tim has picked a good layout, if it gets approved. Gonna camp at the covered wagon Saturday night.

That was a bad deal last year--glad she healing... is she gonna ride it again?

Yesterday we rode the site for the fall poker run (near custer crossing), and they were logging it! :applause:

You could land a helicopter in there, it is so sparse in places. Of course, they left all the branches piled on the trail--I'm sure they'll decimate it when they leave.

Gonna go out to Farmingdale tomorrow. Have you been out enjoying this nice weather???

~Bone

I may come over with my boys from Sheridan. Is there a charge for this? I didn't see anything mentioning any cost (other than possibly joining ORA).

There's a small fee per hand (a few bucks)--buy as many as you want to increase your odds. Of course, we encourage membership, but that has not been a condition in the past.

Last year the club's insurance required a release form for minors signed by BOTH parents--stay tuned to the website for details if they require this again.

~bone

Hey, Tom--it's Troy. I plan on riding/marking the trail on Saturday before the ride, too--Tim has picked a good layout, if it gets approved. Gonna camp at the covered wagon Saturday night.

That was a bad deal last year--glad she healing... is she gonna ride it again?

Yesterday we rode the site for the fall poker run (near custer crossing), and they were logging it! :applause:

You could land a helicopter in there, it is so sparse in places. Of course, they left all the branches piled on the trail--I'm sure they'll decimate it when they leave.

Gonna go out to Farmingdale tomorrow. Have you been out enjoying this nice weather???

~Bone

Hey Troy,

Melanie won't be riding the Piedmont poker run, she MIGHT ride the Fall run, depends on how much seat time she gets between then and now. Are you going to camp out the night before the spring run? We camped out last year, and Jeff came out with his huge 5th wheeler, I had a good time. How was Farmingdale? I do NOT like that place on the weekends, too many crazy's out there. Ok, might see you Friday night, if not, next Thursday,

Tom

Yeah, I think we are gonna camp the night before at the spring run. Tim turned in the routes to the FS yesterday, so we'll see what they give us to ride.

See you at the meeting!

~troy