Sign in to follow this  

KX 100 compression

My sons KX 100 (2000) doesn't seem like its running quite as good as it used to. Not much bottom end/midrange but seems pretty good up top. Starts easily and idles fine. Maybe it's just me - I know this bike is not going to have much down low - it just doesn't seem like it packs the punch that it once did.....

Compression is 160 psi - does this seem about right - or am I due for a new top end? The last top end was done in the summer of 2005 (before we bought the bike). Any other suggestions?

If I do go with a new top end do I hone the cylinder? Regular shoe type hone or something else???

thanks

Terry

You could use a regular shoe type hone.. thats what I have. Why not just open it up for a look, maybe you can get away with just a piston ring.

I'll probably just go ahead and do it - was wondering about the compression psi and what/if to hone it with. My KX 250 is right around 230 psi. Don't have a manual for the 100 but the manual for the 250 says 150 - 175 is about normal. Seems a little low to me. Pison/rings and gasket kit is only around $70 so it's not like a big chunk of change......

Thanks for answering my queston about the hone .....

Terry

150-175 for a 250 is low. Both KX250s I have in my garage are at 210psi. I just rebuild a 2006YZ125 and it tested at 180psi fresh if that gives you and idea. If you can get 175 out of the 100, I'd say thats pretty decent.