Sign in to follow this  

Help us get a track on Vancouver Island!

As a few of you had probably heard, there is a proposed MX track that is around the Burnt Bridge area. Makes sense right? a track in the middle of a bunch of clear cuts isn't hurting anything, but sadly there is still people against it.

I was sent this email, could some of you guys please send a email in and voice your thoughts? (don't bother if your gonna scream and trash talk em', this is for big boys only:naughty: )

Thanks, I am really hoping we can have a nice place to ride around here!

PLEASE HELP US SAY NO

Regarding the proposed development by a corporation to take 20 acres of Forest 1 land located in Shawnigan Lake, B.C. to turn it into a motorcross, kart, BMX bike and model airplane area. This land is right next to a Provincial Wilderness Park where people come with their families to camp, hike, relax and enjoy the river, the fresh clean air, the habitat, and have quiet enjoyable time away from the stress of the city.

The environment is being rapidly destroyed, we need to stand up and say no. We want Forest 1 to remain Forest 1. We want our parks to be peaceful havens for people and wildlife. We do not want or need concrete ovals with bikes and carts roaring around and around polluting the environment with noxious fumes and loud noise.

This is one of those local problems; Shawnigan Lake, B.C. has a small population.

To get the attention of the politicians we are asking for anyone in the world to email the CVRD to try and stop this atrocity from happening.

We are asking everyone to please write to the Planning Services at the Cowichan Valley Regional District to ask that they just say no.

Could you please take one moment to email the CVRD?

The email address is and please be sure to put in the subject line as a re: or subject line

ds@cvrd.bc.ca

Subject: Proposed go kart and motorcross facilities on part of District Lot 17, Helmcken District Lying to the West of Parcel A DD 11192331)P.I.D. 009 718-354 Renfrew Road, Shawnigan Lake, B.C.

I was in the same boat as you a few years back. We had our eye on a 79 acre clear cut logging block. We made sure to get letters OF SUPPORT from the surrounding aboriginal bands (which could be hard to do, depending on how your relationship is with them), the company(s) who had the rights to log the block in the first place, the surrounding multiplicities that will use these facilities, and basically anybody else who might have some influence as well as a petition. Our saving grace was we mentioned that we needed this area for a safe and CONTROLLED environment to practice and train. Then insurance became an issue but thats another monster. I had to apply to the Ministry of Lands and Oceans (go figure...oceans) for use of this land. They inturn leased it to our town, then we lease it of them for 1$ a year. This took close to 3 years to complete so make sure you have a STRONG, PATIENT AND DEDICATED bunch of people. Keep in mind that we are in northern BC and don't have a heavily populated area such as yours. If you want some further detail, just let me know. I'm currently in the process of helping out a neighboring town through the same scenario.

Good luck:thumbsup:

I guess these people would rather our youths smoking crack and breaking into their cars instead of getting into one of the most physically demanding sports I have ever been apart of!

Good luck with your battle, would love to come to the island and ride a track!

I just emailed this:

Hi there, I just wanted to say that I am heavily in favour of this proposed project. There are few and fewer places for kids to go and have fun. Having them go and spend an afternoon doing something they enjoy would be beneficial to the whole community. Kids having a hobbies are essential to their well being. Kids get bored and do stupid things like vandalism, break and enter, and even do drugs to pass the time. If there are places to go and things to do for kids the chance of them doing something bad is lessened. I enjoy camping with my family, and one of the favourite camping activities my family does together is to unload the dirt bikes and go trail riding. I don’t go-cart or fly model airplanes, but I know that a lot of people do that as a recreation. All three activities are very family oriented, and the families enjoying the facilities would spend money in the local economy. I truly hope both sides of the proposal are listened to and that it’s given a fare evaluation. Thanks for your time.