Sign in to follow this  

rear sprock xr4

I was wondering has anyone played with rear sprocket sizes on their xr4? How many teeth before you have to modify the chain guard??? I want to go with a 47 rear and a 14 front any suggestions???

This chart lets you know the final drive rations of each to let you compare to stock on how much of a difference you are making.

ratioa.gif

There aren't any clearance issues when you drop a tooth, but when you go up into 16, you start having some problems.

I would suggest you might want to see what dropping a tooth on the counter sprocket does and see if you want to bring it back up a little with the main sprocket.

to get the reduction of going from a 15t front to the 14t you would have to go up 4 teath on the rear to even get close. you also don't have to buy as much chain so it would be cheaper in the long run. my dad has the 14t front with a 45 rear and it is plenty low for single track riding and it keeps the motor in a good range.

Agree with those advocating changing the front instead- I have 13, 14, and 15t front sprockets. All will work with the stock case saver and that gives about a 12% change in final drive ratio.