Sign in to follow this  

Jumps

I really haven't ridden dirt bikes in about 4 years and I just got back in to the motocross scene I am wondering what I have to do about getting over the fear of jumping? I just seem to have this fear of casing the jump and it is holding me back from jumpin.

It goes without saying to start small and only attempt to jump safe tabletops. You'll never progress if the first jump you take lands you in a cast.

When you get to the track, the best approach on your first few laps is to roll all the jumps. After you get a feel for how the jump faces and landings are, you can then carry just enough speed to get both wheels off the ground without trying to jump the whole tabletop.

After you start getting comfortable AND are consistently leaving the lip without being too nose high or nose low, you can increase your speed and jumping distance until you clear the entire jump. The point is to take it slow and don't feel pressured into jumping further than your comfort zone.

Tip: If you are riding a 4-stroke, remember to keep a steady throttle all the way up the face of the jump and until you leave the lip. Chopping the throttle may throw you off-balance because of the engine braking. Also, it helps to slow down your suspension's rebound if you find that your bike hops after a flat landing (turn screw IN).

I'm sure some kids will chime in and tell you to "just pin it and jump it, dude" ~ but you know better! :applause: Hope that helps!

Thanks Velocity I am going to the track this weekend and I am going to try it and see how it helps. I will let you know.:applause:

First off dont get in over your head. I would sugest practicing on tabletops,and slowly add speed each time to get a feel for your body position. Try to be aware of your body position as much as you can. Build up that confidence and keep going farther and farther. Trust me it feels like landing on butter on the down side copared to flat landing. It sounds like you are not comitting to your throttle hand and thats ok,but you will feel so much better land on the back side. Believe me I know because I have just recently started pushing the envelope in jump distance. I have been back on a dirt bike for one year now and just yesterday cleared a gap double that is about 50ft to the back side of the landing. Let me tell you it felt so good to do it,now I just have to open my eyes in the air so I dont hit anyone one the next huge table that comes up real quick with the speed it takes to clear the above mentioned gap. Goodluck and I was joking about my eyes (a little). Have fun first you are about to enter a whole new world of speed.:applause::lol:

Try and find somebody that you can follow into the jump. This way you'll have the correct speed, and as long as you've been working on body position you should be OK. As far as the fear goes, you just have to want it so bad, that the fear washes away and the only thought that enters your head is success.

good luck :applause:

For real. I've only been riding for a year, but I found that following a confident rider up to a jump (someone who jumps it, small at first, and then bigger) can help show you how much speed you need to carry up to, and over the take-off face. You should always look at the takeoffs, and just roll over the jump first. Starting small, and going bigger can definitely help. You could also try just leave the jump face more, by accelerating up to the jump more each time. Before long, you'll be over it.

As for the fear of it, as you go bigger, and get more seat time, you'll gain confidence. Everyone goes in over their heads once in a while, but if you didn't, how would you get better and faster. Keep a clear head and stay calm if something doesn't go according to plan, cause you can often save it.

Just don't hesitate. Commit, or don't try. Good luck.:applause: