Sign in to follow this  

Rookie stuff

Hi, so here are some potential rookie questions. This is my first dirtbike (2000 yz125) and first top end on it, so here goes. I got a top end gasket kick and have two left over o-rings. I put the two in the head and the two in the expansion chamber intake. The two that are left are very similar to those in the expansion intake just a shade smaller OD. Do the have a home? Or are they in the kit for a different year then mine. Second question is... what the @$#@$ year is my bike. According to the vin its a 2000. According to the guy I bought it from its a 2001. According to the Clymer’s manual I have it has a coolant port on the front of the head and the power valve style of a 2001. I called a yamaha dealer and they said if the vin says 2000 its 2000 with a possible 2001 engine swapped in.. I asked if I could get the numbers off the engine and find out some info and he said no. So after my lifes story.. what ya got for me?

I don't believe so. I had 2 paper square gaskets for around the PV side and front covers and one small one for the linkage arm. The ones I have left are much bigger. Maybe 1.75" OD.

SIDE NOTE: I read the OEM vs after market piston thread. I already had a Wisco to put so I went with it. Real cold day in the northeast and lots of piston slap for me.

I don't believe so. I had 2 paper square gaskets for around the PV side and front covers and one small one for the linkage arm. The ones I have left are much bigger. Maybe 1.75" OD.

They go in the powervalve.

Look here. They go behind the circular part, in parts 14 and 15.

03yz125cylinder.jpg

SIDE NOTE: I read the OEM vs after market piston thread. I already had a Wisco to put so I went with it. Real cold day in the northeast and lots of piston slap for me.

Oh please.

I've run Wiseco pistons in all my 2-strokes, and I've never heard piston slap. Even when it was 30 degrees out.