Sign in to follow this  

great steering combination

I just put 22mm offset applied triple clamps with a sub mount kit for a scotts steering dampner and I absolutely love it. Before I had the steering dampner, the front end was a bit out of control, but once the Scotts went on the swapping was history and bike is super quick in corners. The last change I need to make is heavier fork springs due to the rake change. Check out this mod.

I agree Mike, I'm running 22mm BRP's with the Scotts on my 07 450R and it's a really sweet combination. Doug

Ever ride a KTM?? Well... some can, some can't... as it's too raked for my liking and it handles like dogmeat (if you ask me).

With that said; Going to a 22mm offset is only warranted for some people. I run stock, the 24mm offset and love it.... but I don't ride track or single track as much as I use to. Mostly desert and dunes.

...to have problems with your 22mm offset, and then to band-aid it with a damper... is odd if you ask me. :applause:

22mm triple clamps are only for some people... not all.

Does the 22mm offset quicken the steering? I ride mostly single track and have had problems dialing in my front end. Steering feels kinda sluggish, not much feedback. I've raised the forks in the triple clamps and also about to try a new tire.

Does the 22mm offset quicken the steering? I ride mostly single track and have had problems dialing in my front end. Steering feels kinda sluggish, not much feedback. I've raised the forks in the triple clamps and also about to try a new tire.

The 22's do quicken the steering feel and feel a litle more planted on harder pack stuff. If you ride tighter trails it can help.

What JOhnny says is true. If you ride more open terrain or sand they can turn under on you.

The fiorst thing to do is get you sag numbers correct. Play with raising the forks after that (1-5mm). If you still want it quicker try it.

I ride everything and run the 22 Applieds and a sub mounted Scotts damper. Best handling bike .... ever:worthy: . I rode a KTM before that....not good.:applause:

isn't that adjustable axle just for mock up/feel, but not to be used permanently?

That Rekluse axle looks interesting. One of the magazines reviewed it and were complimentary , but they also wrote,and Rekluse is pretty clear that it's for "dialing in" and "experimenting", not for racing and nothing to keep on your bike.

Is that a liability thing,anybody know, or a fact ?

I had my R at 80 mph plus with the 22's and the Scotts ll the way off, with no instability at all, as a matter of fact it felt rock steady. I've put it through all sorts of tight turns,180's ,off camber, in dirt,mud,hard pack and no feeling of wanting to tuck the front end at all, that's with the sag on the button and fork caps dead level just like stock,and nothing but great results. I do use the Scotts, but that'll always be on my bikes.

I haven't ever ridden the bike WFO in the desert, with all those whoops from mother nature and deep sand at WFO though, so I respect anyones opinion that does.

For what I like to do though I just love the 22's,and if I was a single track guy I'd love them even more because they really shine at lower speeds,too.

Doug

The Rekluse axle is actually stronger than OEM and on the Rekluse site they advise use for any and all riding conditions. It has a four degree adjustment from OEM which I think would be 22-26(?)....Problem is I can't find one for the CRFX. OEM 24mm offset works well for me so I'm not interested in changing right now. When I hit the San Juans this Summer I'll want the 22mm offset, 13/51 gearing, and a Rekluse clutch for sure. That should allow me to get around with those guys on those low geared orange 2 smokes pretty easily. Last year it was, "Hey! Look at that old dude riding the sofa!" That won't happen again.