Sign in to follow this  

Charging voltages????

Can anyone tell me what voltage specs are on our bikes.

i.e. what voltage at what rpm?

I may have a charging problem.

Headlight brightens up fine with rpms but voltage at the battery doesn't seem to keep pace. It increases but slowly and only with sustained rpm.

Sounds normal. The stators are only partially wound so the system dosn't create much amperage. The voltage is controlled by a regulator. At idle the light is pretty dim. Is it keeping the battery charged? You may want to add a battery tender if your not riding it often. If you want more power you'll have to rewind the stator.

Can anyone tell me what voltage specs are on our bikes.

i.e. what voltage at what rpm?

I may have a charging problem.

Headlight brightens up fine with rpms but voltage at the battery doesn't seem to keep pace. It increases but slowly and only with sustained rpm.

Charge your battery and refit it to your bike,normal charge voltage is around 13.8 to 14.5 volts,if your battery is full this is the voltage you should see with the bike revving,the stock stator has only 20 watts for charging the battery the rest is for powering the lights,so you have only just over 1 amp to charge the battery hence it only rises slowly when the bike is running,if you want more lighting on your X go Baja rewound stator and regulator it works great no more dim headlight if you still need more HID lights are awesome,check out my garage its all there for you to see,Martin.:applause:

Your battery may be giving-out on you. Try charging it with an external motorcycle battery charger. If you don't need lights, consider disconnecting them---then you have the full stator output available to keep the battery charged---I have my X set-up this way to make sure the battery is as "hot" as it can be for quick re-starts if I stall the engine during a race. I also removed the headlight to save some weight.

Your battery may be giving-out on you. Try charging it with an external motorcycle battery charger. If you don't need lights, consider disconnecting them---then you have the full stator output available to keep the battery charged---I have my X set-up this way to make sure the battery is as "hot" as it can be for quick re-starts if I stall the engine during a race. I also removed the headlight to save some weight.

Hi Roger M,the X stator is a split configeration its set up as two seperate circuits theres the lighting output of around 44 watts and a battery charging output of around 20 watts,not runing your lights will make no differance to how much power goes into your battery, it will still be around 1.5 amps max with or without lights on,Martin.

My battery after off the bike charge is 12.5 volts.

It seems that when it's on the bike the voltage just comes up slowly whne it revs.

The other side is that I've been using the bike for a lot of trail work. Lots of starting and stopping. I may need to look into the Baja stator kit. Of course the big bore takes a toll on the starter also and I'm sure it calls for more juice when it turns the motor over.

My battery after off the bike charge is 12.5 volts.

It seems that when it's on the bike the voltage just comes up slowly whne it revs.

The other side is that I've been using the bike for a lot of trail work. Lots of starting and stopping. I may need to look into the Baja stator kit. Of course the big bore takes a toll on the starter also and I'm sure it calls for more juice when it turns the motor over.

Hi Chamiosdog,put your battery on a battery charger or battery tender and hook it up to a volt meter it may show 12.5volts now but on charge it will rise to about 13.8 to 14.5 volts depending on the charger used,refit it to your bike and run it up,fit the volt meter to your battery and it should show between 13.8 to 14.5volts when revving if it does all is well,there is not a great deal of power for battery charging on the x so your battery voltage will only rise slowly if your battery is not fully charged,there is a battery with more capacity that will fit your X if you feel you need it,its made by Yuasa called the YTZ 7S,TT store sell them rated at 7Ah almost double the capacity of the stock battery and will start your big bore no problem I use one my self on my TRM 307 and it works great,Martin.:applause: